Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark
British Columbia Premier David Eby has named a new post-secondary education minister to replace Selina Robinson, who recently resigned over comments about the Middle East. Eby says in a statement that Lisa Beare, previously the minister of citizens' services, will fill the post-secondary education and future skills portfolio.

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized
Police say two seniors in North Vancouver are "terrified" and flummoxed to explain why vandals have targeted their home five times in the last year.  North Vancouver RCMP say the most recent harassment came on Saturday at 12:40 a.m. and 1:30 a.m., when a security camera recorded two suspects kicking the home's front door before running away.

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

Politicians back at the leg for spring session

Politicians back at the leg for spring session
BC politicians are back in Victoria this week for the spring legislative session.  Today's speech from the throne will set out the political agenda for the coming weeks ahead of this fall’s provincial election campaign.

Politicians back at the leg for spring session

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt
Burnaby RCMP says one person is dead and two people are in critical condition after a two-vehicle crash Sunday near a Highway 1 off ramp. Cpl. Mike Kalanj says in a statement the Mounties are investigating the early morning accident near the Sprott Street off ramp.

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
A shooting in Surrey over the weekend has sent a man to hospital with serious injuries in what police are calling an isolated incident. Surrey RCMP say officers responded to a report of shots fired in the Guildford area of Surrey at about 6:23 p.m. Sunday. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting

6 families displaced by Chilliwack fire

6 families displaced by Chilliwack fire
Fire officials in Chilliwack, B.C., say an early morning blaze at an apartment complex has displaced six families. The Chilliwack Fire Department says the blaze was reported around 5:30 Monday morning, and more than three dozen firefighters responded to the apartment complex on Edward Street.

6 families displaced by Chilliwack fire