Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. wine grapes facing up to 99% production drop due to January cold snap

B.C. wine grapes facing up to 99% production drop due to January cold snap
A new report says British Columbia's wine industry is anticipating "catastrophic crop losses" of up to 99 per cent of typical grape production due to January's intense cold snap. A February report from Wine Growers British Columbia and consulting firm Cascadia Partners says preliminary industry estimates are calling for crops to produce only one-to-three per cent of typical yields for wine grapes, mostly coming from relatively mild Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island.  

B.C. wine grapes facing up to 99% production drop due to January cold snap

BC man banned from investment market

BC man banned from investment market
A Vancouver man convicted of fraud has been permanently banned from B-C's investment market. The B-C Securities Commission says a panel has concluded that Jeffrey Shaughnessy's misconduct was "extremely serious," and the man posed "a significant ongoing risk" to the public and the capital markets had the ban not been put in place.

BC man banned from investment market

North Vancouver RCMP warn of radioactive material in equipment in stolen car

North Vancouver RCMP warn of radioactive material in equipment in stolen car
Police in North Vancouver say a car stolen from an underground parking lot Tuesday had a piece of equipment containing radioactive material inside. Mounties say they responded to a theft call at a gym on Marine Drive, and the vehicle contained a "nuclear soil moisture density gauge" used in construction and other industries.   

North Vancouver RCMP warn of radioactive material in equipment in stolen car

Cold season challenging for cherry growers

Cold season challenging for cherry growers
This season will likely be the most challenging cherry growers have ever experienced in British Columbia, a farmer and industry leader says, after a widespread cold snap damaged trees and buds last month. Sukhpaul Bal, president of the BC Cherry Association, said the deep freeze was especially destructive because temperatures were mild in the preceding weeks.

Cold season challenging for cherry growers

Richmond, B.C., council votes to back safe consumption site after fractious meetings

Richmond, B.C., council votes to back safe consumption site after fractious meetings
Richmond, B.C., resident Edward Cheung says many community members feel they know exactly what will happen if a supervised safe consumption drug site is established in the city. Cheung, whose parents live close to a supportive housing complex that opened in 2019, said in an interview on Wednesday that the neighbourhood has dealt with a spike in petty crime since then, and he is worried something similar would happen with a safe consumption site.

Richmond, B.C., council votes to back safe consumption site after fractious meetings

More upgrades to improve flood resilience in Abbotsford, B.C., after 2021 disaster

More upgrades to improve flood resilience in Abbotsford, B.C., after 2021 disaster
Premier David Eby says his government will provide almost $80 million to help upgrade Abbotsford's Barrowtown Pump Station, which was nearly overwhelmed in 2021 by atmospheric rivers that set off catastrophic flooding in the Sumas Prairie.  The area is a key bread basket for B.C., and Eby says the flooding on the Sumas Prairie could have been much worse had the pump station failed.   

More upgrades to improve flood resilience in Abbotsford, B.C., after 2021 disaster