Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Robots Tarzan and Jane, aided by AI, take over repetitive tasks at B.C. hospital lab

Robots Tarzan and Jane, aided by AI, take over repetitive tasks at B.C. hospital lab
Far from the jungle, Tarzan and Jane swing quietly into action in a sterile laboratory at St. Paul's Hospital in downtown Vancouver. They are robots that work with artificial intelligence to handle and process up to 70 per cent of the hospital's microbiology samples. The pair unscrew specimen tubes and streak the samples onto bacterial culture plates in the new $1-million automated WASPLab, short for "walk-away specimen processor."

Robots Tarzan and Jane, aided by AI, take over repetitive tasks at B.C. hospital lab

Ali's lawyers fear dead girl's dad, as police probe claim he brought gun to court

Ali's lawyers fear dead girl's dad, as police probe claim he brought gun to court
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl has been under police investigation for allegedly bringing a gun into a Vancouver courtroom on the day that Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a hearing. Lawyers for Ali are refusing to show up to court for post-trial proceedings citing safety concerns about the man, who can't be named because of a publication ban on the identity of the murdered girl.

Ali's lawyers fear dead girl's dad, as police probe claim he brought gun to court

Man faces seven charges after Edmonton City Hall shooting

Man faces seven charges after Edmonton City Hall shooting
Police say a man is facing seven charges after shots were fired and a Molotov cocktail was thrown at Edmonton City Hall.  The alleged offences include arson, possessing incendiary materials and discharging a firearm into a building.

Man faces seven charges after Edmonton City Hall shooting

Be on lookout for car thief

Be on lookout for car thief
Kelowna R-C-M-P are asking residents to be on the lookout for a man suspected of trying to defraud multiple car dealerships. Police say a dealership recently reported that the suspect had produced four driver's licences showing different names with the same identification photo.  

Be on lookout for car thief

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing
Metro Vancouver Transit Police say charges have been approved after a stabbing that left a teenager with serious wounds requiring emergency surgery. Police say it happened last July when the teenager and his girlfriend had a brief altercation with two males at the Guildford Mall in Surrey before they got on a bus.   

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says
British Columbia's chief coroner says 2,511 people died of suspected illicit drug poisoning last year, the highest annual toll ever recorded. Close to 14,000 people have died since the province declared a public health emergency in April 2016, Lisa Lapointe told a news conference on Wednesday.

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says