Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say
Police were investigating a shooting Tuesday at Edmonton City Hall, where a Molotov cocktail was also thrown from the building's second floor. Police said no injuries were reported. Officers arrested one person and were doing a sweep of the building. 

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh kicks off caucus retreat with pitch for next election

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh kicks off caucus retreat with pitch for next election
Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is making a pitch to Canadians that his party is a viable alternative to the Liberals or Conservatives when voters to the ballot box in the next federal election. Singh kicked off his party's caucus retreat in Edmonton today with the simple message that New Democrats can be trusted.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh kicks off caucus retreat with pitch for next election

Federal use of Emergencies Act was unreasonable, judge rules

Federal use of Emergencies Act was unreasonable, judge rules
The Canadian Civil Liberties Association and several other groups and individuals had argued in court that Ottawa ushered in the emergency measures without sound statutory grounds. The government contended the steps taken to deal with the pan-Canadian turmoil were targeted, proportional, time-limited and compliant with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  

Federal use of Emergencies Act was unreasonable, judge rules

Feds to launch Canada-U.S. engagement strategy as presidential election looms

Feds to launch Canada-U.S. engagement strategy as presidential election looms
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government will launch a renewed effort to promote Canada's interests in the United States as the spectre of another Trump presidency looms. He announced the "Team Canada engagement strategy" at the final day of a cabinet retreat in Montreal on Tuesday.  

Feds to launch Canada-U.S. engagement strategy as presidential election looms

Cap on student visas could wreak financial havoc on Ontario universities, says rep

Cap on student visas could wreak financial havoc on Ontario universities, says rep
Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced new limits to the international student program Monday, including a 35 per cent reduction in the number of study permits it issues this year. The cap comes in response to a recent surge in international students and concerns that some institutions are relying on international enrolments to boost revenues, without offering necessary housing or a quality education.

Cap on student visas could wreak financial havoc on Ontario universities, says rep

Metro Vancouver says stench from Burnaby refinery didn't breach air quality limits

Metro Vancouver says stench from Burnaby refinery didn't breach air quality limits
Metro Vancouver says an acrid odour that blanketed parts of the region on Sunday contained elevated contaminant levels, but didn't breach pollution standards. The regional federation of municipalities says it monitors emissions of particulates, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide from Burnaby's Parkland fuel refinery, and air quality objectives for the contaminants weren't exceeded.

Metro Vancouver says stench from Burnaby refinery didn't breach air quality limits