Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trump's trade czar says U.S. looking to work with Canada on energy: sources

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Apr, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Trump's trade czar says U.S. looking to work with Canada on energy: sources

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Canadians looking for insights into the future of bilateral trade that "America First" is policy, not a slogan, and they should not expect a return to the way things were.

Sources who attended a roundtable with U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Tuesday told The Canadian Press that Greer was measured and pragmatic as he laid out the administration's policy goals ahead of the coming review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico-Agreement on trade.

About 40 people, including Canada's Ambassador to the U.S. Mark Wiseman and Conservative MP Jamil Jivani, attended the event hosted by the American Chamber of Commerce in Canada.

The meeting lasted more than an hour and the sources, who were not authorized to speak publicly about what was said, say Greer told attendees the Trump administration is not looking to disrupt the energy relationship between the two countries.

Sources say Greer said the United States is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that are mutually beneficial to both countries.

The sources also say Greer warned Canada should not attempt to use those resources as leverage in negotiations on the trilateral trade pact.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 30, 2026.

Picture Courtesy: AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson

MORE National ARTICLES

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks
Three national Indigenous leaders say Indigenous Peoples should be at the centre of any discussions on how the country should respond to incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs and Canada's territorial sovereignty. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed and Métis National Council President Victoria Pruden made that pitch during a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday morning.

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast
The federal government is providing $117 million to help solve what it describes as the "heightening water crisis" due to drought on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, where the Sechelt area has been hit especially hard.

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP
R-C-M-P officers in the central Okanagan will soon start wearing body cameras. The acting officer in charge of the detachment based in Kelowna says they are among the first in B-C to deploy the equipment that will be the national standard

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet
The BC government has released Premier David Eby's mandate letters for his new cabinet, outlining priorities for each ministry. Almost every minister has instructions to grow the economy and "reduce costs for families."

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report
The federal government spent more on contracted information technology services in four federal departments in 2022-23 than it would have if the work had been done by public servants, the parliamentary budget officer found in a new analysis. A report from the PBO published Thursday said the federal government spent $18.6 billion on professional and special services in 2022-23, with $2.6 billion of that money going to IT.

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report