Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Sikh couple shot dead in possible case of mistaken identity: Canadian police

Sikh couple shot dead in possible case of mistaken identity: Canadian police
Jagtar Singh (57) dead on the scene, and rushed his wife Harbhajan Kaur (55) and their daughter to hospital with life threatening injuries. While Kaur succumbed to her injuries in hospital, their daughter, yet to be identified by the police, continues to battle for life at a trauma centre in Toronto.

Sikh couple shot dead in possible case of mistaken identity: Canadian police

Police say person took loaded gun into Ibrahim Ali murder trial: lawyer

Police say person took loaded gun into Ibrahim Ali murder trial: lawyer
A lawyer for Ibrahim Ali in his first-degree murder trial says police told him a person close to the proceeding brought a handgun into the Vancouver courtroom on Friday with "intent to kill." Kevin McCullough says police told him the Glock firearm was loaded.

Police say person took loaded gun into Ibrahim Ali murder trial: lawyer

Officers to wear body cameras: VPD

Officers to wear body cameras: VPD
Vancouver's Police Department says its officer will start using body-worn cameras in a six-month pilot project.  The department says in a statement that it believes the cameras will strengthen public safety and enhance trust and accountability. 

Officers to wear body cameras: VPD

IHIT investigates suspicious death in Surrey

IHIT investigates suspicious death in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they are investigating a suspicious death. R-C-M-P say officers were investigating a report of a suspicious vehicle when the body was found inside. Police say they're gathering evidence in the Newton neighbourhood where the body was found.  

IHIT investigates suspicious death in Surrey

Advocates, victims' families oppose destroying Robert Pickton evidence

Advocates, victims' families oppose destroying Robert Pickton evidence
Families of murder victims in British Columbia say the 14,000 exhibits collected by RCMP during the Robert Pickton serial killer investigation could be the last chance to find out what happened to their loved ones. Mounties have applied to the court to allow them to destroy the exhibits, saying all relevant evidence has been retained and they can’t keep every piece of property indefinitely.

Advocates, victims' families oppose destroying Robert Pickton evidence

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week
The federal government hopes to avoid gumming up the works of its new dental-insurance plan by gradually phasing in enrolment over the course of the next year, Health Minister Mark Holland said Monday. Seniors over the age of 87 will be the first cohort to be able to apply to join a new federal dental-insurance plan. 

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week