Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses
The House of Commons heritage committee unanimously agreed on Thursday to have the president of the public broadcaster address the cuts and potential bonuses. The committee summoned Tait to appear at its first meeting in the new year following the holiday recess, but a date has yet to be set. 

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier
Newly elected members of the Northwest Territories legislature have chosen their next premier.  R.J. Simpson, the legislature member for Hay River North, won on the second round of voting Thursday. Simpson was first elected to the legislature in 2015, and previously worked with the federal government, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd., Métis Nation Local 51 and Maskwa Engineering. 

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier
Premier David Eby says the New Democrat government's ambitious homebuilding agenda could result in up to 293,000 new housing units over the next decade. Eby provided details of the housing strategy at a British Columbia Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge
A mobile overdose prevention site will launch in Maple Ridge later this month. Fraser Health says in a statement that the site will begin operations on December 18th, using a customized van with an outdoor covered area to accommodate people who inhale or smoke substances.

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Ottawa will require foreigners applying to study in Canada to have double the amount of funds currently required. Miller says the change is among those meant to ensure international students aren't left vulnerable to sketchy employers and unable to afford life in Canada.

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools

Hiker missing for a year near Sooke, B.C., found dead

Hiker missing for a year near Sooke, B.C., found dead
The remains of a hiker who disappeared near Victoria a year ago have been found. Sooke RCMP say the remains of 38-year-old Melissa McDevitt have been located, and police do not believe criminality was involved.  

Hiker missing for a year near Sooke, B.C., found dead