Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada proposes new methane emissions rules for oil-and-gas sector

Canada proposes new methane emissions rules for oil-and-gas sector
The controlled release or burning of methane from oil and gas production sites will be almost entirely barred by 2030 under proposed regulations outlined Monday by Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault. The proposed regulations seek to implement a new target to cut methane leaks and releases from the oil and gas industry by at least 75 per cent over 2012 levels by 2030.   

Canada proposes new methane emissions rules for oil-and-gas sector

Man who swerved car near pro-Palestinian protester arrested for assault: Victoria PD

Man who swerved car near pro-Palestinian protester arrested for assault: Victoria PD
Police in Victoria have arrested a man they say accelerated his car towards a pro-Palestinian protester near the British Columbia legislature over the weekend. Victoria Police say the man was arrested for assault with a weapon and dangerous operation of a vehicle after driving onto the sidewalk at about 2.p.m. Sunday, nearly striking the protester.

Man who swerved car near pro-Palestinian protester arrested for assault: Victoria PD

Criminal use of cryptocurrency expected to grow, Canada's financial intel agency says

Criminal use of cryptocurrency expected to grow, Canada's financial intel agency says
Canada's financial intelligence agency says it expects to see criminals increase their use of cryptocurrency to raise, move and hide funds outside the traditional banking system. In its newly released annual report, the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada notes it has been developing strategic intelligence on the role virtual assets play in money laundering and terrorist financing.

Criminal use of cryptocurrency expected to grow, Canada's financial intel agency says

17 year old arrested in Vancouver robbery near Skytrain station

17 year old arrested in Vancouver robbery near Skytrain station
Police in Vancouver say they have arrested a 17-year-old suspect who's accused of robbing a man near a SkyTrain station it what was supposed to be a transaction set up through Facebook Marketplace. They say the suspect was arrested Saturday after the victim's friend, who was there during the robbery, noted the buyer's vehicle which helped police make an arrest.

17 year old arrested in Vancouver robbery near Skytrain station

Vancouver home sales rise in November as newly listed properties add to supply

Vancouver home sales rise in November as newly listed properties add to supply
The board says November home sales totalled 1,702, a 4.7 per cent increase from the same month last year, though it marked a slowdown from the prior month of October. The total was 33 per cent below the 10-year seasonal average of 2,538 for November. There were 3,369 new listings of detached, attached and apartment properties last month, a 9.8 per cent increase from a year earlier, as new listings were 2.8 per cent below the 10-year seasonal average.  

Vancouver home sales rise in November as newly listed properties add to supply

4 Indian-origin men sought in connection with aggravated assault in Canada

4 Indian-origin men sought in connection with aggravated assault in Canada
Police have sought public assistance in locating four Indian-origin men, aged between 22-30 years, in connection with an aggravated assault that took place in Canadian city of Brampton. Aftaab Gill (22), Harmandeep Singh (22), Jatinder Singh (25) and Satnam Singh (30) assaulted a victim in the area of McLaughlin Road and Ray Lawson Boulevard on September 8.

4 Indian-origin men sought in connection with aggravated assault in Canada