Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Avian flu at Chilliwack poultry farm

Avian flu at Chilliwack poultry farm
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it has detected the presence of Avian influenza at a Chilliwack commercial poultry operation. It is now the 50th B-C location where the contagious viral infection has been detected at commercial or backyard bird operations since October.

Avian flu at Chilliwack poultry farm

Man with ties to Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax killed in Calgary drive-by shooting

Man with ties to Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax killed in Calgary drive-by shooting
Police say a man with ties to Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax has been killed in a drive-by shooting in Calgary. Officers responded to reports of gunshots in the Beltline neighbourhood, south of downtown, just after 9 p.m. Thursday. Police say they found the 40-year-old man with apparent gunshot wounds.

Man with ties to Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax killed in Calgary drive-by shooting

RCMP issue warning about deadly toxic drugs circulating in Surrey

RCMP issue warning about deadly toxic drugs circulating in Surrey
RCMP have issued a warning about high-potency drugs circulating in Surrey, B.C., saying police have responded to five suspected overdose deaths in seven days. The statement says Mounties in the city east of Vancouver are aware of a mixture of the powerful opioid fentanyl and benzodiazepines, a class of depressant drugs. 

RCMP issue warning about deadly toxic drugs circulating in Surrey

CSIS to probe B.C. office after allegations of rape, harassment and toxic workplace

CSIS to probe B.C. office after allegations of rape, harassment and toxic workplace
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service says the officer who was "implicated" in the allegations — made public in an investigation by The Canadian Press this week — was removed from the workplace. One officer says she was raped nine times in 2019 and 2020 by a senior colleague while in surveillance vehicles, and a second officer says she was later sexually assaulted by the same man despite bosses being warned not to pair him with young women.

CSIS to probe B.C. office after allegations of rape, harassment and toxic workplace

B.C. launching four-year study on how e-scooters fit into transport system

B.C. launching four-year study on how e-scooters fit into transport system
Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the scooters are part of an ongoing shift toward electric personal mobility that is cutting emissions. He says the review will make it easier for local governments to test the e-scooters on their own roads.   

B.C. launching four-year study on how e-scooters fit into transport system

Investigators called to Richmond after two people found dead, says police

Investigators called to Richmond after two people found dead, says police
Mounties in Richmond say they are investigating a homicide after discovering two bodies inside a home on Thursday. RCMP say officers were called to the home after receiving a report of a "suspicious circumstance." Police say they found two people dead inside.   

Investigators called to Richmond after two people found dead, says police