Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad
That's after video surfaced of Rustad saying his party would "certainly be participating with other jurisdictions" after being asked at an online meeting in July about where he stood on "Nuremberg 2.0," which is the idea that people behind public health measures during the pandemic should be put on trial.

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs
Surrey RCMP say a more than a year long drug trafficking investigation has led to one arrest and the seizure of 23-kilograms of M-D-M-A, a quantity of fentanyl and other illicit drugs. They say the probe targeted a network that allegedly supplied bulk amounts of illicit drugs to traffickers in several Greater Vancouver cities.

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary
Vancouver Police Chief Const. Adam Palmer says planned and unplanned protests across the city are posing a "significant" risk of disorder, and officers trained specifically for large-scale events will be deployed. In addition, Palmer says tactical response and uniformed officers will be placed at "key locations" in consultation with leaders of both the Jewish and Muslim communities.

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary

Eby defends B.C.'s speculation tax increase, says it will create more needed rentals

Eby defends B.C.'s speculation tax increase, says it will create more needed rentals
New Democrat Leader David Eby is defending plans to increase British Columbia's speculation tax on empty homes because he says it works. He says the tax saw 20,000 vacant homes in Metro Vancouver rented out since its introduction in 2017 and he expects more rental opportunities will result from the increase.

Eby defends B.C.'s speculation tax increase, says it will create more needed rentals

NDP house leader says House dysfunction will be a factor in future confidence votes

NDP house leader says House dysfunction will be a factor in future confidence votes
NDP House leader Peter Julian says there's more his party wants to do in Parliament before the next election, but the current dysfunction continues it will become a factor in how they vote on a confidence measure. In just three weeks, two Conservative non-confidence motions have failed to bring down the government — but the Opposition promises more to come.

NDP house leader says House dysfunction will be a factor in future confidence votes

20K worth of jewelry stolen from a senior in New Westminster

20K worth of jewelry stolen from a senior in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are asking for the public's help identifying a woman who they say stole 20-thousand dollars worth of jewelry from a senior citizen. They say the victim was approached by a woman in her 30s who gave her fake gold jewelry and stole the senior's rings and necklace. 

20K worth of jewelry stolen from a senior in New Westminster