Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 earthquakes for BC this morning

2 earthquakes for BC this morning
The first was a magnitude 3.5 and shook just after two a-m in the Georgia Strait about 18 kilometres west of Tsawwassen. Natural Resources Canada says the second quake -- a magnitude 4.6 -- happened at around four this morning about 63 kilometres west of Fort St. John.

2 earthquakes for BC this morning

Homicide charge in Vancouver

Homicide charge in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver say a suspect has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a man in east Vancouver. They say officers responded to a report of a stabbing at residential building near Kingsway Avenue just after midnight yesterday.

Homicide charge in Vancouver

Supreme Court upholds rules on air passenger compensation in win for consumers

Supreme Court upholds rules on air passenger compensation in win for consumers
On Friday, the country's highest court unanimously dismissed an appeal by a group of airlines that challenged Canada's passenger rights charter. Air Canada, Porter Airlines Inc. and 16 foreign appellants had argued that the Air Passenger Protection Regulations launched in 2019 violate global standards and should be rendered invalid for trips into and out of the country.

Supreme Court upholds rules on air passenger compensation in win for consumers

City of Surrey completes cleanup project

City of Surrey completes cleanup project
The City of Surrey says it has completed a cleanup project in the Nicomekl River in South Surrey. It says abandoned or wrecked vessels, rafts and associated garbage was all pulled from the river.

City of Surrey completes cleanup project

Weekend training exercises at Metrotown mall

Weekend training exercises at Metrotown mall
Mounties in Burnaby are telling the public not to be alarmed as emergency responders conduct training exercises at a major shopping mall. Police say fire, police and emergency responder presence will be visible at Metrotown during eight evenings this month and next.

Weekend training exercises at Metrotown mall

Leaders spread out around the province as week two of campaigning in B.C. continues

Leaders spread out around the province as week two of campaigning in B.C. continues
Politicians are continuing to promote their promises across British Columbia as the provincial election campaign nears its midway point. British Columbia's election day is on Oct. 19.

Leaders spread out around the province as week two of campaigning in B.C. continues