Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jun, 2024 11:38 AM
  • Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect. 

The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

The man is carrying a clear bottle with liquid inside, and he unscrews the cap before disappearing from the frame. 

Less than a minute later, there is a bright flash and the video shows the man walking quickly down the synagogue stairs and onto the street.

A second video shows the front entrance from a different angle as orange flames spark and then flare up as the man walks away.

The police statement says investigators are looking to speak with anyone who might recognize the suspect in the video, as well as the driver of a beige or silver minivan that was seen in the area at the time of the fire.

Rabbi Andrew Rosenblatt has said people were inside the synagogue after services that same night, when they heard a "bang" outside.

But he said it was a passerby who alerted them that their building was on fire, before a member of the congregation put out the flames with his jacket.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver
Project CEO Jason Klein has told the LNG 2023 conference in Vancouver that the project is close to 85-per-cent complete and will aim to compete globally, not only on price but also its environmental and social track record.

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home
Two people in Nanaimo are unhurt but their home has smoke damage after what R-C-M-P say was a suspicious fire. It happened early yesterday morning south of Nanaimo in the Cinnabar Valley neighbourhood.

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior
The BC Wildfire Service is reporting more than 300 fires, with 87 spotted in the last 24 hours and almost 200 of the total number ranked as out of control.  B.C.'s wildfire danger was high to extreme across all but small pockets of the province on Monday.  

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia
The two countries have signed a "road map" outlining the process. The document sets out three phases for the work, which will eventually involve as many as 2,200 persistently deployed Canadian troops plus the ability to add hundreds of additional Armed Forces members as needed. It states that brigade buildup will be completed in 2025, and that Latvia will work to build new infrastructure.

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection
A shooting in downtown Toronto that sent two people to hospital with serious injuries Monday morning could be the result of road rage following street racing, police said as they worked to identify those responsible. Toronto police said they were called to 7 Charles Street West, just one block south of Toronto's busy Yonge and Bloor intersection, just after 6 a.m. for what they described as a drive-by shooting.

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Surrey shooting leaves one dead

Surrey shooting leaves one dead
On Sunday at approximately 5:07 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to a shooting in an alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street that has left one man deceased. Police are investigating whether a burnt out vehicle located a short time later in the area of 8200-block of 151A Street is connected to the homicide.  

Surrey shooting leaves one dead