Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jun, 2024 11:38 AM
  • Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect. 

The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

The man is carrying a clear bottle with liquid inside, and he unscrews the cap before disappearing from the frame. 

Less than a minute later, there is a bright flash and the video shows the man walking quickly down the synagogue stairs and onto the street.

A second video shows the front entrance from a different angle as orange flames spark and then flare up as the man walks away.

The police statement says investigators are looking to speak with anyone who might recognize the suspect in the video, as well as the driver of a beige or silver minivan that was seen in the area at the time of the fire.

Rabbi Andrew Rosenblatt has said people were inside the synagogue after services that same night, when they heard a "bang" outside.

But he said it was a passerby who alerted them that their building was on fire, before a member of the congregation put out the flames with his jacket.

MORE National ARTICLES

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop
Manjinder Singh Kaila, 55, was bitten by a police dog on May 29, 2021, next to his Surrey home, as the cops pursued a suspect, despite the victim yelling “it wasn’t me". The statement of claim named constables Sarbjeet Singh and Paul Baker, who were working with RCMP dog service at that time.

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop

Jobless rate went up in June

Jobless rate went up in June
R-B-C assistant chief economist Nathan Janzen says the reason the unemployment rate can rise alongside historically strong employment growth is that population growth continues to set new records, including an increase of 84-thousand people in June.

Jobless rate went up in June

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months
Island Health says a lack of staff has forced it to begin overnight closures of the emergency room at a small Victoria-area hospital. A statement from the health authority says closure of the Saanich Peninsula Hospital emergency department begins at 10 p.m. tonight and will end at 7 a.m. Saturday.

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months

BC Port strike now a week long

BC Port strike now a week long
The association says it has learned of the layoffs as well as cargo diversions as the labour dispute drags on, calling on the International Longshore and Warehouse Union to enter a voluntary arbitration process to end the strike.  

BC Port strike now a week long

Airbnb wins Vancouver privacy ruling, as court quashes order to release host data

Airbnb wins Vancouver privacy ruling, as court quashes order to release host data
Justice Jasvinder Basran's ruling says the privacy commissioner must reconsider its findings after notifying Airbnb hosts about the potential release of the information.

Airbnb wins Vancouver privacy ruling, as court quashes order to release host data

Ministerial adviser, Gurveen Dhaliwal, won't be charged in election rule violation probe

Ministerial adviser, Gurveen Dhaliwal, won't be charged in election rule violation probe
The service had tapped a special prosecutor in May to give legal advice on the investigation of Gurveen Dhaliwal, who served as a trustee in New Westminster before being named as an adviser to Health Minister Adrian Dix on May 1. The investigation stemmed from Dhaliwal's presence as a scrutineer during the same election last November in which she was running for a second term.

Ministerial adviser, Gurveen Dhaliwal, won't be charged in election rule violation probe