Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jun, 2024 11:38 AM
  • Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect. 

The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

The man is carrying a clear bottle with liquid inside, and he unscrews the cap before disappearing from the frame. 

Less than a minute later, there is a bright flash and the video shows the man walking quickly down the synagogue stairs and onto the street.

A second video shows the front entrance from a different angle as orange flames spark and then flare up as the man walks away.

The police statement says investigators are looking to speak with anyone who might recognize the suspect in the video, as well as the driver of a beige or silver minivan that was seen in the area at the time of the fire.

Rabbi Andrew Rosenblatt has said people were inside the synagogue after services that same night, when they heard a "bang" outside.

But he said it was a passerby who alerted them that their building was on fire, before a member of the congregation put out the flames with his jacket.

MORE National ARTICLES

Sunshine Coast man found shot dead on Highway

Sunshine Coast man found shot dead on Highway
On Thursday at 3:38 a.m., the Sunshine Coast RCMP were called to the 8000-block of Birch Way, Halfmoon Bay, after a report of a shooting. Officers attended and located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. Despite the efforts of first responders, the victim succumbed to his injuries.  

Sunshine Coast man found shot dead on Highway

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim
A statement from Richmond RCMP says they have received multiple calls since June 16 to investigate the pet owner after posters were put up around the city listing the address and accusing the resident of cruelty.

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision
Vancouver Police are investigating a fatal collision that killed a 28-year-old man this morning, and are asking anyone with information to call investigators. Although the investigation is still in its early stages, it is believed speed and impaired driving contributed to the crash. The 34-year-old suspect, driving the van, was taken to hospital for serious injuries. The investigation is ongoing.

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior
A statement from Merritt RCMP says the two were last seen Monday in a small boat on Stump Lake, between Kamloops and Merritt. Friends began a search around the lake late Monday, then called police when they couldn't find the two men.

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran
The B.C. Prosecution Service announced in a statement Thursday that the charge laid against Colin Basran last October has been dropped. The service says special prosecutor Brock Martland was appointed to the investigation of a sexual assault alleged to have happened in May 2022, when Basran was the sitting mayor. 

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada
Daqwan Roshayne Howard Lee, 28, was arrested on Monday and charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharging a firearm with intent, Edmonton police said. Police said Barinder Singh and his daughter were "innocent victims of a wrongly targeted crime".

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada