Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Transit Strike : Union Announces System-Wide Shutdown For 3 Days Next Week - VIDEO

Darpan News Desk, 20 Nov, 2019 09:36 PM

    Unless progress can be made in contract talks between TransLink’s Coast Mountain Bus Company and Unifor, a three-day system-wide work stoppage will commence at Wednesday, November 27, 2019.

     

    “Transit workers have been more than patient with TransLink but continued disrespect for our members has left them little choice but to escalate job action,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. “We had hoped that overtime bans would demonstrate how essential transit workers are to the province’s most populous region, but TransLink has failed to offer a contract that matches the contribution of our members.”

     

    If a fair deal is not achieved, members of Unifor Locals 111 and 2200 will be on picket lines during November 27, 28, and 29. Transit workers will return to their full shifts on November 30 and continue providing service.

     

     

    “Transit workers take pride in serving the public. This dispute can end tomorrow if the employer stops playing games,” said Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor Western Regional Director and lead negotiator during the talks. “Unifor members have given TransLink every opportunity to avoid a system-wide shut-down.”

     

    Unifor is encouraging transit passengers to vent their frustration with TransLink at a rally scheduled for 1 p.m. on November 28 at the TransLink offices. The action coincides with a TransLink Mayors’ Council meeting at the offices.

     

    “TransLink’s poor treatment of workers is having an impact on the broader commuting public. Passengers can help end this dispute by increasing the pressure on TransLink to get back to the bargaining table with a new mandate,” said McGarrigle. “Transit workers and mayors both support expansion, but to accomplish a system expansion that doesn’t leave workers behind, the mayors need reign in TransLink and restore accountability to the system.”

     

    There are no talks scheduled between CMBC and Unifor.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Police Shut Down Two Illegal Multi-Million Cannabis Oil Labs In South Vancouver

    Police Shut Down Two Illegal Multi-Million Cannabis Oil Labs In South Vancouver
    Vancouver Police executed search warrants on two illicit cannabis oil labs in South Vancouver on Friday under the new Cannabis Act, seizing thousands of pounds of drugs and shutting down a multi-million dollar drug operation.

    Police Shut Down Two Illegal Multi-Million Cannabis Oil Labs In South Vancouver

    City Of Delta Crime Severity Index Sees Little Change From Previous Year

    The City of Delta’s overall Crime Severity Index (CSI) has held steady at just under 53 index points for 2018, 

    City Of Delta Crime Severity Index Sees Little Change From Previous Year

    Teen Spending Birthday In Jail Gets Surprise Visit, Cake From Coquitlam Mountie

    A teenager with a significant police history got an unexpected late-night visit while spending the weekend in the Coquitlam RCMP jail.

    Teen Spending Birthday In Jail Gets Surprise Visit, Cake From Coquitlam Mountie

    Doug Ford Says Boris Johnson Will Do 'Great Job' As Britain's Next Prime Minister

    Ontario Premier Doug Ford says Boris Johnson will do a "great job" as Britain's next prime minister.

    Doug Ford Says Boris Johnson Will Do 'Great Job' As Britain's Next Prime Minister

    Former Humboldt Broncos Player Who Survived Bus Crash Hopes For Spot On Team

    A former Humboldt Broncos player whose back was broken when the team's bus crashed last year says he'll return to Humboldt to battle for a spot on the team.

    Former Humboldt Broncos Player Who Survived Bus Crash Hopes For Spot On Team

    Canada Launches Multibillion-Dollar Bidding Process For 88 New Fighter Jets

    Canada Launches Multibillion-Dollar Bidding Process For 88 New Fighter Jets
    The jets — part of a procurement package worth about $19 billion — are to replace the country's aging CF-18s, which have been in service for more than 35 years.

    Canada Launches Multibillion-Dollar Bidding Process For 88 New Fighter Jets