Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Transit Strike : Union Announces System-Wide Shutdown For 3 Days Next Week - VIDEO

Darpan News Desk, 20 Nov, 2019 09:36 PM

    Unless progress can be made in contract talks between TransLink’s Coast Mountain Bus Company and Unifor, a three-day system-wide work stoppage will commence at Wednesday, November 27, 2019.

     

    “Transit workers have been more than patient with TransLink but continued disrespect for our members has left them little choice but to escalate job action,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. “We had hoped that overtime bans would demonstrate how essential transit workers are to the province’s most populous region, but TransLink has failed to offer a contract that matches the contribution of our members.”

     

    If a fair deal is not achieved, members of Unifor Locals 111 and 2200 will be on picket lines during November 27, 28, and 29. Transit workers will return to their full shifts on November 30 and continue providing service.

     

     

    “Transit workers take pride in serving the public. This dispute can end tomorrow if the employer stops playing games,” said Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor Western Regional Director and lead negotiator during the talks. “Unifor members have given TransLink every opportunity to avoid a system-wide shut-down.”

     

    Unifor is encouraging transit passengers to vent their frustration with TransLink at a rally scheduled for 1 p.m. on November 28 at the TransLink offices. The action coincides with a TransLink Mayors’ Council meeting at the offices.

     

    “TransLink’s poor treatment of workers is having an impact on the broader commuting public. Passengers can help end this dispute by increasing the pressure on TransLink to get back to the bargaining table with a new mandate,” said McGarrigle. “Transit workers and mayors both support expansion, but to accomplish a system expansion that doesn’t leave workers behind, the mayors need reign in TransLink and restore accountability to the system.”

     

    There are no talks scheduled between CMBC and Unifor.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Opponents Seek To Appeal Decision Maintaining Bill 21

    Opponents Seek To Appeal Decision Maintaining Bill 21
    At its core, Farooq said, the law divides and forces people to give up their identities, and if they refuse, they're deemed unwelcome in segments of society.

    Opponents Seek To Appeal Decision Maintaining Bill 21

    CBSA Looks For Actors To Play Smugglers, Be Struck For Recruit Training Program

    CBSA Looks For Actors To Play Smugglers, Be Struck For Recruit Training Program
    OTTAWA - The Canada Border Services Agency is looking once again for a handful of stunt actors to be thrown down, handcuffed, searched and beaten to help train new recruits.

    CBSA Looks For Actors To Play Smugglers, Be Struck For Recruit Training Program

    Violin Teacher Who Measured Girls' Breasts Convicted Of Sexual Assault On Appeal

    The Court of Appeal for Ontario overturned Claude Trachy's acquittals on those charges but upheld them on a number of sexual interference and sexual exploitation charges, which do require sexual intentions for a conviction.

    Violin Teacher Who Measured Girls' Breasts Convicted Of Sexual Assault On Appeal

    Twisted Weather: Alberta Ahead Of Average Tornado Count At 17 So Far This Year

    Twisted Weather: Alberta Ahead Of Average Tornado Count At 17 So Far This Year
    EDMONTON - Alberta storm chaser Chris Kiernan has hardly had a moment's rest since the start of the tornado season last month.    

    Twisted Weather: Alberta Ahead Of Average Tornado Count At 17 So Far This Year

    Artists' Work Reduced To Ash After Fire Destroys Shared Winnipeg Studio

    Artists' Work Reduced To Ash After Fire Destroys Shared Winnipeg Studio
    Some Winnipeg artists have lost nearly their entire life's work in an aggressive fire that reduced a shared studio space to rubble and ash.

    Artists' Work Reduced To Ash After Fire Destroys Shared Winnipeg Studio

    Alberta Real-Estate Sellers Get Safety App After Calgary Agent Assaulted

    Alberta Real-Estate Sellers Get Safety App After Calgary Agent Assaulted
    An association representing Alberta real-estate agents is providing its members with an emergency response app to help keep them safe when they're working alone.

    Alberta Real-Estate Sellers Get Safety App After Calgary Agent Assaulted