Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Statistics Canada says population growth rate in 2023 was highest since 1957

Statistics Canada says population growth rate in 2023 was highest since 1957
Statistics Canada says the country posted its highest annual population growth rate in more than six decades last year. The agency says the population grew 3.2 per cent, its fastest pace since 1957 when it grew 3.3 per cent.

Statistics Canada says population growth rate in 2023 was highest since 1957

Child luring incident in East Vancouver

Child luring incident in East Vancouver
Vancouver police say they're investigating a disturbing child luring incident in East Vancouver on Friday. Police say they're looking for a South Asian man between 20 and 30 years old who allegedly propositioned a 13-year-old boy not far from the 29th Avenue SkyTrain station around 8 in the evening of March 22nd.   

Child luring incident in East Vancouver

New affordable housing in Langley

New affordable housing in Langley
A new building with close to 100 affordable homes is now open in Langley. A statement from B-C's housing ministry says the five-storey building offers apartments of various sizes for people with low and moderate incomes.

New affordable housing in Langley

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access
In today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, the integration of technology in education is both inevitable and contentious. Recently, British Columbia made headlines with the announcement of an upcoming province-wide restriction on cellphone use in public schools, sparking a debate that echoes the concerns and perspectives of various stakeholders – parents, students, and teachers alike.

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say
Data from Vancouver police shows a "dramatic" drop in small drug seizures after decriminalization came into effect in British Columbia last year. The department says during the first nine months of the program officers did not seize any drugs under 2.5 grams, as is outlined in Health Canada's three-year exemption.  

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M
Mounties in Richmond are warning the public after a "significant rise" in romance scams and investment schemes in the city, with a loss of more than $16 million last year. Police say they received 87 reports of romance crimes in 2023, and the trend continues this year with another 12 cases being reported between January to March with nearly $500,000 lost.

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M