Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April
TransLink says the King George SkyTrain Station will be closed for approximately six weeks starting next month. A statement says the closure starting April 27th will allow essential maintenance work to happen and the Expo Line in Surrey will temporarily end at Surrey Central Station.

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

Child dies in fall through ice

Child dies in fall through ice
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say a child has died in a plunge through the ice on Tyee Lake, in the province's Cariboo region. Police say it happened Saturday when the utility task vehicle the child was riding on went through the ice.

Child dies in fall through ice

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects
The British Columbia government is handing out $24 million to more communities that want to improve their walking and cycling infrastructure. The Active Transportation Infrastructure Grants program is part of a cost-sharing agreement with Indigenous, local and regional governments that provides up to $500,000 for infrastructure projects, and up to $50,000 to develop the active network plans. 

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly
Canada welcomes the United Nations Security Council's call for a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas during Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Monday.  Canada has been asking for a sustainable ceasefire since December, she said at a press conference in Ottawa.

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup
An advocacy group and others are making a final plea to the City of Vancouver to hold off on its second phase of a plan to clean up the site of a homeless camp in Crab Park. The group called Stop the Sweeps and residents of the encampment oppose the move, saying they're being offered small, fenced pens to live in while the city bulldozes their community, which includes a warming tent and kitchen.

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Man found dead in Surrey

Man found dead in Surrey
B-C's police watchdog says it is investigating the death of a man in Surrey.  The Independent Investigations Office says police responded to a report of threats being made in a domestic dispute yesterday. 

Man found dead in Surrey