Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Stabbing on bus in Surrey

Stabbing on bus in Surrey
Surrey RCMP are looking for a man who allegedly stabbed a person on a transit bus in the city. They say officers responded to find a man in his 20s suffering from stab wounds and he was transported to the hospital.

Stabbing on bus in Surrey

Alleged assault at Guildford Mall

Alleged assault at Guildford Mall
Mounties say firefighters called them to an event at Surrey’s Guildford Town Centre on Saturday night for a possible assault. They say officers were attempting to determine what had happened when a fight broke out.

Alleged assault at Guildford Mall

Abbotsford's Jaspreet Singh charged with second-degree murder in wife's death

Abbotsford's Jaspreet Singh charged with second-degree murder in wife's death
HIT says in a news release that officers from the Abbotsford Police Department responded to a report of an assault at a home in the city on Friday night. They arrived to find a woman, who has now been identified as 41-year-old Balwinder Kaur, suffering from life-threatening stab wounds inside the home.  

Abbotsford's Jaspreet Singh charged with second-degree murder in wife's death

Will Ottawa meet its fiscal target? Economists split as deficit tracks higher

Will Ottawa meet its fiscal target? Economists split as deficit tracks higher
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has pledged that the government will meet its fiscal targets in the upcoming federal budget, but economists say achieving that goal will be challenging as the deficit tracks higher. Amid mounting pressure to rein in spending, the Liberals unveiled new fiscal guardrails in the fall that aim to limit deficits. Among the government's promises was that this year's deficit will not exceed $40.1 billion.

Will Ottawa meet its fiscal target? Economists split as deficit tracks higher

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region
The B.C. government says it will cull 25 deer in the Kootenay region to test for chronic wasting disease. The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says two deer in the region tested positive for the disease earlier this year. 

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region

Surrey mayor taking Province to court over policing

Surrey mayor taking Province to court over policing
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke says the city's legal team is still preparing for a courtroom showdown with the provincial government over policing in the city, with a court date set for April 29th.  Locke says the city is still in talks with the province, but she says she can't share any inside details about the discussions. 

Surrey mayor taking Province to court over policing