Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Calm in housing market this spring

Calm in housing market this spring
The B-C Real Estate Association says the province's housing market is staying relatively calm this spring. The association says sales were up more than 15 per cent last month compared to February 2023.

Calm in housing market this spring

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather
The British Columbia government says farmers will get an extra $70 million to replant and strengthen fruit orchards and vineyards after two years of weather-related disasters. Premier David Eby says the funding will boost the province's existing $15 million Perennial Crop Renewal Program, launched last spring to help more than 200 farmers replace diseased and unproductive plants.

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Historic transportation investment for Surrey
Surrey has approved what city council is calling its biggest municipal transportation investment in history. The council has approved a 138-million-dollar extension of 72 Avenue from 152 Street to Highway 15, a roughly 4-kilometre stretch.

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer
Fewer than half of Canadians believe the federal government's plan to regulate social media sites will make platforms safer, a new survey suggests. Polling firm Leger recently asked Canadians about the Liberal government's proposed Online Harms Act, which contains a suite of measures meant to make social media platforms safer, particularly for children.

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust
Police in Port Hardy say they've arrested six people in a drug investigation after seizing guns, and suspected fentanyl and cocaine, after executing a pair of search warrants over the weekend. Port Hardy R-C-M-P say there's been a recent uptick in overdose deaths in the north island community. 

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man
Police in Surrey say a 38-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder, 18 months after the shooting death of 37-year-old Troy Michael Regnier.  Surrey R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has charged Justin Bos in Regnier's death.  

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man