Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Dr. Bonnie Henry to give update on flu season

Dr. Bonnie Henry to give update on flu season
B-C provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry is scheduled to provide an update this afternoon on the province's respiratory illness season. It's Henry's first update of 2024 and she'll be joined by Health Minister Adrian Dix.

Dr. Bonnie Henry to give update on flu season

Environment Canada warns parts of northern B.C. that -50 C wind chill could be coming

Environment Canada warns parts of northern B.C. that -50 C wind chill could be coming
Environment Canada is warning parts of northern British Columbia to expect wind chill values as cold as -50 C for at least the rest of the week. An extreme cold warning issued for the Peace River region says an arctic ridge over the province means temperatures will remain between -30 and -40 C until Sunday.   

Environment Canada warns parts of northern B.C. that -50 C wind chill could be coming

Vancouver police say jaywalking pedestrian pulled gun, started shooting at driver

Vancouver police say jaywalking pedestrian pulled gun, started shooting at driver
A man has been arrested after a near-collision in Vancouver resulted in a pedestrian pulling out a gun and shooting at a driver. Police say the shooting happened Saturday on Commercial Drive near E. 12th Avenue. They say a motorist stopped abruptly to avoid hitting a jaywalker, and the two exchanged words.

Vancouver police say jaywalking pedestrian pulled gun, started shooting at driver

Winter weather settles in over B.C. with warning of treacherous roads, avalanche risk

Winter weather settles in over B.C. with warning of treacherous roads, avalanche risk
British Columbia's government is warning residents of treacherous roads, cold temperatures and dangerous avalanche conditions as the year's first blast of winter settles in. The Ministry of Emergency Management said after a warm start to winter, the forecast has returned to what is more seasonal and will remain that way for the days and weeks ahead.

Winter weather settles in over B.C. with warning of treacherous roads, avalanche risk

16 cars damaged in Saanich

16 cars damaged in Saanich
Police in Greater Victoria are investigating a recent string of vehicle vandalism and asking for the public's help to identify a suspect. They say 16 vehicles were vandalized in Saanich over a week between December 29th and last Friday, resulting in tens of thousands of dollars' worth of damages.

16 cars damaged in Saanich

Volunteer search and rescue leaders allege mistreatment by B.C. government

Volunteer search and rescue leaders allege mistreatment by B.C. government
The former head of the B.C. Search and Rescue Association says the group's volunteer personnel have been bullied, threatened and disrespected by the province's Ministry of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness. 

Volunteer search and rescue leaders allege mistreatment by B.C. government