Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey
Three people are facing multiple charges after an alleged carjacking in Surrey. Mounties say they responded to a report of a vehicle being taken at gunpoint Sunday afternoon.  

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey

Nearly 20,000 without power in B.C. as wintry winds lash south coast

Nearly 20,000 without power in B.C. as wintry winds lash south coast
Nearly 20,000 people are without power this morning as wintry winds sweep over British Columbia's south coast and snow falls in the Interior. The BC Hydro website shows dozens of outages, with most in the Lower Mainland, on the Sunshine Coast and on Vancouver Island, including parts of Victoria.

Nearly 20,000 without power in B.C. as wintry winds lash south coast

Speed a factor in fatal Maple Ridge crash

Speed a factor in fatal Maple Ridge crash
Police believe speed was a factor in last week's deadly car crash in the Greater Vancouver Area. Officers say a Pontiac allegedly crossed into an oncoming line in Maple Ridge on Friday before crashing with a Honda Civic.

Speed a factor in fatal Maple Ridge crash

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash
A 26-year-old Indian national, hoping to get permanent residency in Canada, died in a single-vehicle crash in the country's New Brunswick province. Harwinder Singh, a resident of Mohali in Punjab, died on the spot in the December 26 crash on Highway 2 at Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska that left two others with non-life threatening injuries, the Global News reported this week.

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver
Jane Stillwell got ejected from her wheelchair and suffered significant injuries when driver Gurdeep Singh Sohi made an "abrupt and hard brake" to avoid collision with another car in 2018. The car ahead of Sohi, employed with Richmond Cabs Ltd, had braked to avoid hitting a raccoon. Stillwell will also get C$171,470 for her future care and C$10,423 in special damages, making the total $406,893, the British Columbia Supreme Court said in a judgment issued on December 27, 2023.

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada
Jagtar Singh Sidhu and Harbhajan Kaur, both in their 50s, were shot more than 20 times just before midnight on November 20 at their rental property along the Caledon-Brampton border. While Sidhu died on the spot, Harbhajan Kaur succumbed to injuries in the hospital where she was rushed to along with their daughter who was shot 13 times and continues to battle for her life.

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada