Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

MPs must be fully vaccinated to be in House

MPs must be fully vaccinated to be in House
That includes members of Parliament, their staff, political research office employees, administration employees, journalists, parliamentary business visitors, contractors and consultants.

MPs must be fully vaccinated to be in House

Coquitlam incident lands man in hospital in critical condition

Coquitlam incident lands man in hospital in critical condition
Just after 3 a.m. on October 19, a frontline officer from the Coquitlam RCMP was approached and asked to help locate a man, who had allegedly left his home under the influence of drugs and alcohol and was wearing only a t-shirt and underwear. The information was broadcast to local area officers who began patrolling.

Coquitlam incident lands man in hospital in critical condition

560 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

560 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 4,913 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 191,476 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 382 individuals are in hospital and 146 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

560 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Shots fired late at night in the Queensborough neighborhood of New Westminster

Shots fired late at night in the Queensborough neighborhood of New Westminster
On October 18th at approximately 11:45 pm the New Westminster Police Department received multiple calls about shots fired in the area of Hendry Place in Queensborough. Members responded to the scene and confirmed that shots had been fired at a residence. 

Shots fired late at night in the Queensborough neighborhood of New Westminster

Lawyers want exclusion from B.C. illegal cash regs

Lawyers want exclusion from B.C. illegal cash regs
The province launched the inquiry after reports outlined a money laundering crisis fuelled by millions of dollars in illegal cash being funnelled through the real estate, luxury car and gambling sectors in B.C.    

Lawyers want exclusion from B.C. illegal cash regs

Capacity limits to be lifted in B.C.

Capacity limits to be lifted in B.C.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says sporting events, indoor concerts, movie theatres, symphonies and other venues can go to 100 per cent capacity when proof of vaccination status is checked.    

Capacity limits to be lifted in B.C.