Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

774 COVID19 cases for Thursday

774 COVID19 cases for Thursday
There are 5,594 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 164,470 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 262 individuals are in hospital and 130 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

774 COVID19 cases for Thursday

COVID-19 vaccine benefits society: B.C. minister

COVID-19 vaccine benefits society: B.C. minister
Adrian Dix says the province is reviewing "all options" when it comes to limiting protests outside of hospitals. Dix says ignoring scientific facts, evidence and data and refusing the vaccine only hurts the wider population.

COVID-19 vaccine benefits society: B.C. minister

Police recover stolen e-bike

Police recover stolen e-bike
The resident fortunately knew their bike well, and was able to identify several specific characteristics from the bike, that they passed along to police.

Police recover stolen e-bike

Canadians on Qatari flight out of Kabul

Canadians on Qatari flight out of Kabul
Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau revealed on Aug. 31 that around 1,250 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and family members were stranded in Afghanistan following the withdrawal of all U.S. military forces from the country.    

Canadians on Qatari flight out of Kabul

B.C. looks for input on anti-racism legislation

B.C. looks for input on anti-racism legislation
Rachna Singh, the parliamentary secretary for anti-racism initiatives, says the public feedback will help better identify systemic racism in existing government programs. B.C. residents can share their thoughts through an online government portal until Nov. 30.

B.C. looks for input on anti-racism legislation

Mexican wildfire fighters set to leave B.C.

Mexican wildfire fighters set to leave B.C.
Ninety-eight firefighters and three support staff arrived from Mexico on July 24 as hundreds of wildfires flared and drought conditions gripped much of the southern half of the province.

Mexican wildfire fighters set to leave B.C.