Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hajdu sends warning letter to Alberta counterpart

Hajdu sends warning letter to Alberta counterpart
In the letter, addressed to Alberta Health Minister Tyler Shandro, Hajdu says she agrees with the Canadian Paediatric Society's description of the move as an "unnecessary and risky gamble."

Hajdu sends warning letter to Alberta counterpart

Show us a border plan, businesses urge Congress

Show us a border plan, businesses urge Congress
The group, led by the North American Strategy for Competitiveness, wants senior congressional leaders to demand a detailed strategy from the Department of Homeland Security.

Show us a border plan, businesses urge Congress

Lawyers for Meng claim U.S. misled B.C. court

Lawyers for Meng claim U.S. misled B.C. court
In the documents presented to the court yesterday, her lawyers claim the United States mischaracterized and omitted evidence to establish a case of fraud when requesting the extradition of Meng from Canada.

Lawyers for Meng claim U.S. misled B.C. court

Damage estimate at $78M for Lytton, B.C., fire

Damage estimate at $78M for Lytton, B.C., fire
The bureau says in a statement there has been about 300 claims so far, most of which are related to residential properties.

Damage estimate at $78M for Lytton, B.C., fire

342 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

342 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
81.5% (3,777,588) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 67.9% (3,146,669) have received their second dose.    

342 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Protests spur concerns over media access

Protests spur concerns over media access
The decision by authorities in Toronto to fence off public parks last month as municipal staff and police cleared homeless encampments sparked backlash from media outlets and advocates, who have petitioned the city to allow reporters on site during the operations.

Protests spur concerns over media access