Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:19 AM
  • World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Five years ago, the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, setting off a series of policies that transformed Canadians' lives for years.

The WHO's declaration followed months of warning signs about the dangers of COVID-19, including mass lockdowns in China and Italy, and served as a wake-up call for many Canadians.

"It really highlighted that it was not a situation that was confined to one area, one city — it really was a national and international response that was required," said Dr. Na-Koshie Lamptey, Toronto’s acting medical officer of health.

"And so you saw the mobilization of societal resources to fight it."

In the weeks and months that followed, Canadian governments moved to shut down schools and offices, limit travel and ban social gatherings, while offering unprecedented financial lifelines to help people and businesses weather the crisis.

Flags flew at half-mast Tuesday over the buildings of the provincial legislature in Quebec City to mark the date, designated as a day of remembrance in the province for the victims of COVID-19.

"It was a difficult time for everyone, a time of effort and sacrifice," Premier François Legault said Tuesday in a social media statement. "But it was also an opportunity for the people of Quebec to demonstrate their solidarity and courage."

The pandemic turned public health officials into household names as people across Canada sought to keep up with the latest advice and regulatory changes.

The importance of effective communication, both with the public and between government divisions, was one of the many lessons to come out of the pandemic, said Lamptey, the Toronto public health official.

Clear communication builds trust so that people can better contribute to the collective emergency response, she added.

Looking back on the crisis, it's important to recognize the significant sacrifices made by health-care staff and other essential workers to protect the well-being of others, and honour those whose lives were lost to the virus, she said.

As the level of immunity has increased through vaccines and people recovering from the disease, the impact of the virus has changed, but it can still have serious consequences for older adults and those with chronic medical conditions, she said. As well, many people continue to experience long-term effects of COVID-19, she added.

The virus has claimed tens of thousands of lives in Canada alone, many of them people in long-term care.

The WHO lifted the global COVID-19 emergency in May 2023, noting the illness had been on a downward trend for more than a year.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse
The building at 500 Dunsmuir St., commonly known as Dunsmuir House, was built in 1909 initially as a hotel. It has also served as barracks for sailors in the Second World War, a Salvation Army home for veterans and later social housing, but has been empty since 2013.

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed
Police in Vancouver say they've arrested a 66-year-old man for uttering threats against a gas station clerk and only later learned the suspect was a convicted murderer out on parole from a life sentence. They say the alleged threat was made to the attendant on Saturday when the man's points card wouldn't work. 

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta
Police in southern Alberta are investigating after three children were struck by a vehicle. Officers responded to a call after the children — ages 14, seven and five — were hit in a marked crosswalk in Lethbridge, Alta.

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour
A Finnish developer wants to bring a 250-room floating hotel into Vancouver's harbour. A statement from Sunborn International Holding says the proposed hotel would be 136 metres long and 19.5 metres high, spread out over six floors and connected to the Vancouver Convention Centre by a ramp from the seawall walkway.

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour

B.C. launches short-term rental registry with annual fees to rein in 'speculators'

B.C. launches short-term rental registry with annual fees to rein in 'speculators'
Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says B.C. is launching a registry for short-term rentals to further crack down on "speculators" operating illegally. Kahlon says all short-term rental operators on platforms such as Airbnb and Vrbo must apply for a registration number to be displayed on all online listings by May 1, and hosts who fail to comply will have their listings taken down from June 1. 

B.C. launches short-term rental registry with annual fees to rein in 'speculators'

Environment minister says Donald Trump pulling out of Paris pact is

Environment minister says Donald Trump pulling out of Paris pact is
Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says it's "deplorable" that President Donald Trump is again pulling the U.S. out of the 2015 Paris Accord. He says it's "quite ironic" that President Trump is abandoning the global environmental pact while California is experiencing one of its worst forest fire seasons ever.

Environment minister says Donald Trump pulling out of Paris pact is