Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:19 AM
  • World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Five years ago, the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, setting off a series of policies that transformed Canadians' lives for years.

The WHO's declaration followed months of warning signs about the dangers of COVID-19, including mass lockdowns in China and Italy, and served as a wake-up call for many Canadians.

"It really highlighted that it was not a situation that was confined to one area, one city — it really was a national and international response that was required," said Dr. Na-Koshie Lamptey, Toronto’s acting medical officer of health.

"And so you saw the mobilization of societal resources to fight it."

In the weeks and months that followed, Canadian governments moved to shut down schools and offices, limit travel and ban social gatherings, while offering unprecedented financial lifelines to help people and businesses weather the crisis.

Flags flew at half-mast Tuesday over the buildings of the provincial legislature in Quebec City to mark the date, designated as a day of remembrance in the province for the victims of COVID-19.

"It was a difficult time for everyone, a time of effort and sacrifice," Premier François Legault said Tuesday in a social media statement. "But it was also an opportunity for the people of Quebec to demonstrate their solidarity and courage."

The pandemic turned public health officials into household names as people across Canada sought to keep up with the latest advice and regulatory changes.

The importance of effective communication, both with the public and between government divisions, was one of the many lessons to come out of the pandemic, said Lamptey, the Toronto public health official.

Clear communication builds trust so that people can better contribute to the collective emergency response, she added.

Looking back on the crisis, it's important to recognize the significant sacrifices made by health-care staff and other essential workers to protect the well-being of others, and honour those whose lives were lost to the virus, she said.

As the level of immunity has increased through vaccines and people recovering from the disease, the impact of the virus has changed, but it can still have serious consequences for older adults and those with chronic medical conditions, she said. As well, many people continue to experience long-term effects of COVID-19, she added.

The virus has claimed tens of thousands of lives in Canada alone, many of them people in long-term care.

The WHO lifted the global COVID-19 emergency in May 2023, noting the illness had been on a downward trend for more than a year.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader
In a video posted on social media, John Rustad says everything possible needs to be done to stop drugs from coming into the province and address issues at the ports, and that a trade war could cost tens of thousands of jobs.

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters
A boat was destroyed in the waters of the Indian Arm fjord near North Vancouver's Deep Cove on Saturday afternoon after it caught fire, smouldered for over three hours and sank. A spokesperson for the Pacific region of the Fisheries Department says Canadian Coast Guard were advised of the burning boat just after noon on Jan. 18 and dispatched from the Kitsilano Base.

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach
The federal privacy watchdog says he's "concerned" about a data breach involving a student information system used across Canada, and his office is seeking more information from the U.S.-based company behind the targeted software. Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says his office is in touch with PowerSchool, which provides the affected platforms to schools across North America.

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports
The New York Times and Wall Street Journal say incoming U.S. president Donald Trump won't slam Canada with damaging tariffs on his inauguration day. Both U.S. newspapers report Trump will instead sign an executive order today to investigate alleged unfair trade and currency practices by Canada, Mexico and China.

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks
Three national Indigenous leaders say Indigenous Peoples should be at the centre of any discussions on how the country should respond to incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs and Canada's territorial sovereignty. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed and Métis National Council President Victoria Pruden made that pitch during a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday morning.

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors