Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:19 AM
  • World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Five years ago, the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, setting off a series of policies that transformed Canadians' lives for years.

The WHO's declaration followed months of warning signs about the dangers of COVID-19, including mass lockdowns in China and Italy, and served as a wake-up call for many Canadians.

"It really highlighted that it was not a situation that was confined to one area, one city — it really was a national and international response that was required," said Dr. Na-Koshie Lamptey, Toronto’s acting medical officer of health.

"And so you saw the mobilization of societal resources to fight it."

In the weeks and months that followed, Canadian governments moved to shut down schools and offices, limit travel and ban social gatherings, while offering unprecedented financial lifelines to help people and businesses weather the crisis.

Flags flew at half-mast Tuesday over the buildings of the provincial legislature in Quebec City to mark the date, designated as a day of remembrance in the province for the victims of COVID-19.

"It was a difficult time for everyone, a time of effort and sacrifice," Premier François Legault said Tuesday in a social media statement. "But it was also an opportunity for the people of Quebec to demonstrate their solidarity and courage."

The pandemic turned public health officials into household names as people across Canada sought to keep up with the latest advice and regulatory changes.

The importance of effective communication, both with the public and between government divisions, was one of the many lessons to come out of the pandemic, said Lamptey, the Toronto public health official.

Clear communication builds trust so that people can better contribute to the collective emergency response, she added.

Looking back on the crisis, it's important to recognize the significant sacrifices made by health-care staff and other essential workers to protect the well-being of others, and honour those whose lives were lost to the virus, she said.

As the level of immunity has increased through vaccines and people recovering from the disease, the impact of the virus has changed, but it can still have serious consequences for older adults and those with chronic medical conditions, she said. As well, many people continue to experience long-term effects of COVID-19, she added.

The virus has claimed tens of thousands of lives in Canada alone, many of them people in long-term care.

The WHO lifted the global COVID-19 emergency in May 2023, noting the illness had been on a downward trend for more than a year.

MORE National ARTICLES

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs
Exactly what president-elect Donald Trump plans to do with tariffs on Canada remains a mystery not just to Canada but to most Republicans, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Thursday.

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list
The professional association for B.C. bylaw workers says among its top 10 "interesting" calls received last year included a resident complaining about  a neighbour "purposefully" flatulating in their general direction as a form of harassment. The Local Government Compliance and Enforcement Association of BC released a list of top "interesting, unique and funny calls" received by bylaw departments in the province last year. 

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'
The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people
A man and woman are accused of lighting their Calgary home on fire, triggering an explosion that injured several people last fall. Calgary police and firefighters were called in early October to a residential neighbourhood shortly after the explosion happened.

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says
The "significant pressures" on British Columbia's forest industry have prompted a review of BC Timber Sales, the organization that manages about 20 per cent of the annual allowable cut. Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says in a statement that the review will ensure the sector can continue to evolve to overcome challenges and create a more resilient industry in the future. 

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says

David Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion

David Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion
British Columbia Premier David Eby says U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has made a "declaration of economic war" on Canada and B.C. with his proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Eby and Finance Minister Brenda Bailey released costings that suggest the tariffs and a similar response from Canada would cumulatively cost B.C. $69 billion in lost GDP over the four years of the Trump presidency.

David Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion