Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:19 AM
  • World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Five years ago, the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, setting off a series of policies that transformed Canadians' lives for years.

The WHO's declaration followed months of warning signs about the dangers of COVID-19, including mass lockdowns in China and Italy, and served as a wake-up call for many Canadians.

"It really highlighted that it was not a situation that was confined to one area, one city — it really was a national and international response that was required," said Dr. Na-Koshie Lamptey, Toronto’s acting medical officer of health.

"And so you saw the mobilization of societal resources to fight it."

In the weeks and months that followed, Canadian governments moved to shut down schools and offices, limit travel and ban social gatherings, while offering unprecedented financial lifelines to help people and businesses weather the crisis.

Flags flew at half-mast Tuesday over the buildings of the provincial legislature in Quebec City to mark the date, designated as a day of remembrance in the province for the victims of COVID-19.

"It was a difficult time for everyone, a time of effort and sacrifice," Premier François Legault said Tuesday in a social media statement. "But it was also an opportunity for the people of Quebec to demonstrate their solidarity and courage."

The pandemic turned public health officials into household names as people across Canada sought to keep up with the latest advice and regulatory changes.

The importance of effective communication, both with the public and between government divisions, was one of the many lessons to come out of the pandemic, said Lamptey, the Toronto public health official.

Clear communication builds trust so that people can better contribute to the collective emergency response, she added.

Looking back on the crisis, it's important to recognize the significant sacrifices made by health-care staff and other essential workers to protect the well-being of others, and honour those whose lives were lost to the virus, she said.

As the level of immunity has increased through vaccines and people recovering from the disease, the impact of the virus has changed, but it can still have serious consequences for older adults and those with chronic medical conditions, she said. As well, many people continue to experience long-term effects of COVID-19, she added.

The virus has claimed tens of thousands of lives in Canada alone, many of them people in long-term care.

The WHO lifted the global COVID-19 emergency in May 2023, noting the illness had been on a downward trend for more than a year.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is welcoming news of a ceasefire deal to pause the 15-month war in the Gaza Strip. He says he hopes the deal will "turn down the temperature" on tensions in Canada and rebuild strained relationships between people affected by the war.

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak
British Columbia ostrich farmers ordered to cull a herd of 400 due to an avian flu outbreak are holding onto hope that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency will change its mind before their kill date in just over two weeks.  The federal agency sent Universal Ostrich Farms Inc. a notice on Dec. 31 instructing their ostriches to be destroyed and disposed of by Feb. 1, but the owners are asking for more time to prove their farm should be spared. 

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak

First half of 5 lane Steveston interchange complete

First half of 5 lane Steveston interchange complete
B-C's Transportation Ministry says the first half of the new five-lane Steveston Interchange is now complete. Kelly Greene, M-L-A for Richmond-Steveston, says this marks a "major step" in improving transportation in the region, adding that once complete, it will improve connections between Highway 99 and the Steveston Highway.

First half of 5 lane Steveston interchange complete

Snowfall warning for Fort Nelson region

Snowfall warning for Fort Nelson region
Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for the Fort Nelson region. It says a Pacific frontal system will bring about 10 centimetres of snow starting this afternoon. The weather office says the snow will persist until tomorrow morning.

Snowfall warning for Fort Nelson region

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs
Canada's premiers are set to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and members of his cabinet today to talk about U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's vow to impose steep tariffs. Trump has promised to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian and Mexican imports — one of several measures he says he'll enact on day one of his presidency through an executive order. He assumes that office on Monday.

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic
An ultrasound technician has been charged with sexually assaulting a patient at his southeast Edmonton clinic last year.  Edmonton police say 53-year-old Aasim Syed Ahmed was charged in August 2024 with one count of sexual assault.

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic