Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Wrestler Bret Hart Grappling With Plastic Surgeon Over Hand Surgery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Dec, 2017 11:48 AM
    CALGARY — Bret Hart has won numerous bouts over his professional wrestling career but now he's entering the legal ring in a lawsuit against a Calgary plastic surgeon.
     
    The legendary grappler, known as "The Hitman," has filed a lawsuit against Dr. Justin Yeung, alleging he has lost the use of his right index finger and thumb after wrist surgery in 2015.
     
    A statement of claim filed Nov. 21 says Hart is unable to use his right hand to pick up and use objects including pens and utensils. He is also unable to properly dress himself without assistance, the document claims.
     
    A statement of defence has not been filed and none of the allegations have been proven in court.
     
    The statement of claim says Hart injured his wrist during a match in 1981 when he chipped his scaphoid. The injury gradually worsened and Hart visited Yeung in September 2015.
     
    "Dr. Yeung advised Mr. Hart that he could perform surgery to repair his right wrist by a partial fusion of the wrist bones," the statement says.
     
    It says Yeung advised Hart would have no pain in his wrist and movement would be restored after recovering from the surgery.
     
    The surgery was performed in November 2015. The claim says at a check-up in January 2016, Hart told Yeung he had severe pain in his wrist and "his right thumb and index finger did not function."
     
    The problem persisted until a follow-up visit in March.
     
    "Mr. Hart's complaints were ignored," reads the statement.
     
    Hart says he has suffered a number of injuries including "severe and ongoing pain" in his right wrist, thumb and index finger and a decreased range of motion.
     
    The lawsuit alleges the defendant was negligent and failed to advise Hart of the risks involved. Hart is seeking general damages of $1 million.
     
    Hart, who is now 60, was born into a legendary wrestling family led by his father Stu Hart, founder of Calgary's Stampede Wrestling.
     
    Bret Hart made his in-ring debut in 1978 and took part in nearly 3,000 matches before his retirement.
     
    He gained popularity and championship success throughout the 1980s and 1990s in the World Wrestling Federation, where he was part of the Hart Foundation.
     
    He has had serious health issues before, including a significant stroke in 2002 that left him partially paralyzed. He recovered successfully and also underwent surgery for prostate cancer.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Premier John Horgan Says Apology, Other Defences Mitigate Defamation Suit

    Horgan and B.C. Jobs Minister Bruce Ralston both filed statements of defence in court last week in reaction in a civil lawsuit launched by Gordon Wilson.

    B.C. Premier John Horgan Says Apology, Other Defences Mitigate Defamation Suit

    Mitchell Casavechia, Halifax Daycare Worker, Charged With Sexually Assaulting Child

    Mitchell Casavechia, Halifax Daycare Worker, Charged With Sexually Assaulting Child
    A Halifax daycare provider says it is trying to reassure parents after one of its employees was charged with sexually assaulting a young child on the job.

    Mitchell Casavechia, Halifax Daycare Worker, Charged With Sexually Assaulting Child

    Sped Through Construction Zone: Truck Driver Gets 3 Years For Killing 3 Teens

    Sped Through Construction Zone: Truck Driver Gets 3 Years For Killing 3 Teens
    MELFORT, Sask. — A truck driver who killed three Saskatchewan teenagers when his speeding semi rear-ended their car in a construction zone has been sentenced to three years in prison.

    Sped Through Construction Zone: Truck Driver Gets 3 Years For Killing 3 Teens

    Winnipeg Man Pleads Not Guilty To Letter-Bomb Charges, Fights DNA Evidence

    Winnipeg Man Pleads Not Guilty To Letter-Bomb Charges, Fights DNA Evidence
    WINNIPEG — A man accused of sending letter bombs in the mail, including one that cost his ex-wife's lawyer her hand, pleaded not guilty Monday to five counts of attempted murder and to several explosives-related charges.

    Winnipeg Man Pleads Not Guilty To Letter-Bomb Charges, Fights DNA Evidence

    Four-Year Sentence For Man Found Guilty Of Smuggling Tamil Migrants To Canada

    Four-Year Sentence For Man Found Guilty Of Smuggling Tamil Migrants To Canada
    VANCOUVER — A Sri Lankan man found guilty of smuggling Tamil migrants to Canada has walked free after receiving a four-year prison sentence.

    Four-Year Sentence For Man Found Guilty Of Smuggling Tamil Migrants To Canada

    WATCH: Stretch Limousine Crashes Into Home In Surrey

    WATCH: Stretch Limousine Crashes Into Home In Surrey
    Police say the damage from the crash has made the house uninhabitable.

    WATCH: Stretch Limousine Crashes Into Home In Surrey