Eggless vanilla pound cake (Ingredients)
- 100g clarified butter /ghee, melted, cooled
- 50g oil
- 300g castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g thick yogurt
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 290g all-purpose flour
- 240g buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 180c. Lightly grease & flour a 12-cup Bundt tin.
- Place the ghee, oil, sugar & vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer/or a large bowl & whisk on medium-high speed until well mixed. Add the yogurt, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Whisk again, scraping the sides down a couple of times.
- Add the plain flour with buttermilk & whisk until smooth.
- Pour about 520g of the batter into the tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is slightly firm & light brown.
- Take out of the oven, top with the vanilla cream, followed by the remaining batter. Return to the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the tin, gently loosen the edges and turn out. Pour over the glaze if desired.
Vanilla cream filling (Ingredients)
- 300g Amul Fresh cream/ 25% fat
- 100g milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 50g sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a heavy-bottom saucepan until smooth. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens to a custard consistency. Be careful since it can catch the bottom. Take off the heat and whisk well until smooth.
Note: I now make this in the microwave at 30-second intervals, whisking well after each heating until the edges thicken.
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and melt over a double boiler until the chocolate has melted. Cool to room temperature before using.