Friday, August 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2024 12:22 PM
  • Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Imphal, Nov 29 (IANS) The Manipur government as a preventative step on Friday extended the suspension of mobile internet and data services for two more days in nine districts including the trouble-torn Jiribam district, officials said.

Home Department officials said that though except for a person missing on November 25 from Kangpokpi district, no major incident was reported from any of the nine districts since November 18, the suspension of mobile internet and data services has been extended for two more days as a precautionary measure.

Commissioner, Home, N. Ashok Kumar, in his order, said: "In view of the prevailing law and order situation in the state, on the apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation."

"... as a preventive measure, the state government has imposed a temporary suspension of mobile internet and mobile data services," the order said.

In nine districts, the suspension of mobile internet and data services would be effective till 5.15 p.m. on December 1.

The nine districts, comprising both the valley and hills, where the suspension of mobile internet and data services were enforced are Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching, Kangpokpi, Churachandpur, Jiribam, and Pherzawl.

Following the widespread violence and attacks by mobs that started on November 16 in valley districts, including Imphal East and Imphal West, following the recovery of six bodies of missing three children and three women in Jiribam district on November 15 and 16, Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi ordered the suspension of mobile internet and data services in these districts for two days.

Since then the suspension of mobile internet and data services was extended periodically.

However, after two weeks of closure, regular classes in all educational institutions, including schools and universities in six districts, resumed on Friday.

The officials said that though attendance in the educational institutions on Friday was slightly low, it was expected to normalise in the coming days.

Thousands of students went to their respective institutions in a cheery mood.

Curfew restrictions also eased in violence-affected six districts -- Imphal West, Imphal East, Thoubal, Bishnupur, Kakching and Jiribam.

The curfew relaxations were done to facilitate the students to go to their educational institutions and to enable residents to buy essentials like food and medicines.

However, as per the District Magistrate's orders, any gathering or rally still needs prior approval from the competent authorities.

 

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Indian nationals asked to leave Ukraine temporarily

Indian nationals asked to leave Ukraine temporarily
 In a latest advisory issued on Tuesday, the Embassy of India in Kiev has asked Indian nationals in Ukraine, particularly students whose stay is not essential, to consider leaving the country temporarily in the wake of the current situation.

Indian nationals asked to leave Ukraine temporarily

Lakhimpur Kheri case: Accused Ashish Mishra walks free after four months

Lakhimpur Kheri case: Accused Ashish Mishra walks free after four months
Ashish Mishra had moved the Lucknow bench of the High Court seeking insertion of sections 302 (murder) and 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC that were 'inadvertently' not mentioned in the high court order as the jail authorities would not release him due to the omission.

Lakhimpur Kheri case: Accused Ashish Mishra walks free after four months

305 kg ganja valued at Rs 2 cr seized in Delhi, one held

305 kg ganja valued at Rs 2 cr seized in Delhi, one held
An interstate ganja supplier was arrested and 305 kg of the contraband valued at Rs 2 crore in the international market was recovered from his possession in the national capital, an official said here on Tuesday. The accused was identified as Shyam Sundar, 29, a resident of Firozabad district in Uttar Pradesh.

305 kg ganja valued at Rs 2 cr seized in Delhi, one held

SAD-BSP alliance promises solar energy in poll manifesto

SAD-BSP alliance promises solar energy in poll manifesto
The alliance promised Rs 10 lakh free annual health insurance for all Punjabis, Rs 2,000 per month to all women heads of 'blue card' families, 5 lakh houses and five marla plots each to homeless poor and hiking old-age pension to Rs 3,100 and shagun scheme of Rs 75,000.

SAD-BSP alliance promises solar energy in poll manifesto

Cong is losing in Punjab, says Ashwani Kumar after quitting party

Cong is losing in Punjab, says Ashwani Kumar after quitting party
In an interview to IANS, Ashwani Kumar, who was perceived as a loyalist of the Gandhi family and had supported against the 'G23' , said it was getting difficult to continue in the party. He also said he is open to join any other party.

Cong is losing in Punjab, says Ashwani Kumar after quitting party

NDA will form govt in Punjab, free it from drugs: Modi

NDA will form govt in Punjab, free it from drugs: Modi
Promising to work on the teachings of Sikh gurus with principles of non-discrimination and equality for all, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Monday that the NDA would form the government in Punjab and would free the state from drugs.

NDA will form govt in Punjab, free it from drugs: Modi