Thursday, August 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2024 12:22 PM
  • Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Imphal, Nov 29 (IANS) The Manipur government as a preventative step on Friday extended the suspension of mobile internet and data services for two more days in nine districts including the trouble-torn Jiribam district, officials said.

Home Department officials said that though except for a person missing on November 25 from Kangpokpi district, no major incident was reported from any of the nine districts since November 18, the suspension of mobile internet and data services has been extended for two more days as a precautionary measure.

Commissioner, Home, N. Ashok Kumar, in his order, said: "In view of the prevailing law and order situation in the state, on the apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation."

"... as a preventive measure, the state government has imposed a temporary suspension of mobile internet and mobile data services," the order said.

In nine districts, the suspension of mobile internet and data services would be effective till 5.15 p.m. on December 1.

The nine districts, comprising both the valley and hills, where the suspension of mobile internet and data services were enforced are Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching, Kangpokpi, Churachandpur, Jiribam, and Pherzawl.

Following the widespread violence and attacks by mobs that started on November 16 in valley districts, including Imphal East and Imphal West, following the recovery of six bodies of missing three children and three women in Jiribam district on November 15 and 16, Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi ordered the suspension of mobile internet and data services in these districts for two days.

Since then the suspension of mobile internet and data services was extended periodically.

However, after two weeks of closure, regular classes in all educational institutions, including schools and universities in six districts, resumed on Friday.

The officials said that though attendance in the educational institutions on Friday was slightly low, it was expected to normalise in the coming days.

Thousands of students went to their respective institutions in a cheery mood.

Curfew restrictions also eased in violence-affected six districts -- Imphal West, Imphal East, Thoubal, Bishnupur, Kakching and Jiribam.

The curfew relaxations were done to facilitate the students to go to their educational institutions and to enable residents to buy essentials like food and medicines.

However, as per the District Magistrate's orders, any gathering or rally still needs prior approval from the competent authorities.

 

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Hijab row: Public order not a ground to curb fundamental rights, say petitioners

Hijab row: Public order not a ground to curb fundamental rights, say petitioners
The government can't restrict fundamental rights in the garb of maintaining public order, the counsel for the girl students seeking permission to wear the hijab told the Karnataka High Court on Monday.

Hijab row: Public order not a ground to curb fundamental rights, say petitioners

Your bravery will continue to inspire us: India pays tribute to 2019 Pulwama victims

Your bravery will continue to inspire us: India pays tribute to 2019 Pulwama victims
On February 14, 2019, a suicide bomber of the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terror group attacked the CRPF convoy in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district in which 40 personnel were killed.

Your bravery will continue to inspire us: India pays tribute to 2019 Pulwama victims

Bag containing narcotics valued at Rs 15cr found at IGI Airport

Bag containing narcotics valued at Rs 15cr found at IGI Airport
The Customs officials on Sunday recovered an unclaimed bag containing 'cocaine capsules' valued at Rs 15 crore from the Indira Gandhi International Airport here, an official said. The official said that it was seized and a case was lodged and efforts were being made to identify the accused who abandoned the bag.

Bag containing narcotics valued at Rs 15cr found at IGI Airport

Channi's chopper not allowed to take off due to PM's visit

Channi's chopper not allowed to take off due to PM's visit
 In the run-up to the February 20 Assembly elections in Punjab, Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi's chopper was not allowed to take off from Chandigarh on Monday owing to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's movement in the state.

Channi's chopper not allowed to take off due to PM's visit

Four dead in Delhi building collapse

Four dead in Delhi building collapse
The deceased were identified as Rukaiya Khatoon, Shahzaad, Afreen and Danish, all residents of J.J. Colony while two women -- identified as Fatima and Shahnaaz, were rescued and sent to the hospital. "Both of them are out of danger," a police official said.

Four dead in Delhi building collapse

Bhupinder Singh Honey sent to 14-day judicial custody

Bhupinder Singh Honey sent to 14-day judicial custody
Honey was presented at the court after his Enforcement Directorate (ED) custody expired on Friday. Earlier, on two occasions, the court had granted ED the custody of Honey.

Bhupinder Singh Honey sent to 14-day judicial custody