Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
International

Vigil held for 9 year-old Indian-American boy allegedly slain by father

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Jan, 2023 11:15 AM
  • Vigil held for 9 year-old Indian-American boy allegedly slain by father
 
Photo courtesy of IStock.
 
New York, Jan 12 (IANS) More than 200 people held a candlelight vigil in McKinney, Texas, in the memory of a nine year-old Indian-origin boy who was allegedly stabbed to death by his father last week.

Subramanian Ponnazhakan, 39, was booked on capital murder charge and his bail was set at $1 million, the McKinney Police said.

"What can a nine-year-old do to deserve this? I feel really bad," Suroma Sinha, who attended the vigil at Hughes Elementary told WFAA, a Dallas-based news channel.

A lot of people who left flowers, stuffed toys and notes at the venue said they want people to know that help is available, and that "humanity still lives".

"From the father's perspective... emotionally something went wrong," Vijay Ranganathan, a resident, told the news channel.

Police said they got a call from a neighbour last week who said that a woman had found her son "unconscious and bleeding" inside a home near Highway 380 and Custer Road.

When officers entered the house "forcefully", they found the woman's husband in the act of inflicting self-harm with a knife for which he was admitted to a hospital.

The boy, who was the only son, was found with multiple stab wounds in the garage, and was pronounced dead on the spot.

Police said that further investigations are on in the case.

"We continue to keep the child's mother and their entire family in our thoughts and prayers during this unspeakably difficult time," a McKinney Police Department spokeswoman had said.

MORE International ARTICLES

Terrorist attack on the Pakistan Stock Exchange in Karachi on Monday leaves multiple dead

Terrorist attack on the Pakistan Stock Exchange in Karachi on Monday leaves multiple dead
According local media and police gunmen opened fire at the Pakistan Stock Exchange in Karachi, Pakistan on Monday killing five people. Policemen and security officials are among those confirmed dead. 

Terrorist attack on the Pakistan Stock Exchange in Karachi on Monday leaves multiple dead

Pakistan's plane crash last month reveals over 30 percent of the pilots have fake licenses

Pakistan's plane crash last month reveals over 30 percent of the pilots have fake licenses
Pakistan's aviation minister says over 30% of civilian pilots in Pakistan have fake licenses and are not qualified to fly.

Pakistan's plane crash last month reveals over 30 percent of the pilots have fake licenses

Attack on Indian Restaurant in the US being called a hate crime

Attack on Indian Restaurant in the US being called a hate crime
A local indian restaurant has been the target of a hate crime in Santa Fe, New Mexico and is being investigated by police. According to a report by the Sante Fe Police Department, The restaurant India Palace had graffiti on its walls, racial slurs, and expletives. 

Attack on Indian Restaurant in the US being called a hate crime

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF SUSHANT?

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF SUSHANT?
DARPAN Host Ish Sharma speaks to renowned local TV Host and local Event Promoter @kamalSharma of KVP Entertainers about the reasons behind the death of a young budding Superstar like Sushant Singh Rajput. Is B-Town kind to outsiders? Is Nepotism Real? Is the#Bollywood Movie Industry controlled by mafia and politics?

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF SUSHANT?

Juneteenth in Tulsa: freedom still a distant, delayed dream for Black America

Juneteenth in Tulsa: freedom still a distant, delayed dream for Black America
Black Americans are gathering today to mark the anniversary of an emancipation that came two and a half years late — liberty that many say feels like it never came at all.

Juneteenth in Tulsa: freedom still a distant, delayed dream for Black America

China charges two Canadians with spying in Huawei-linked case

China charges two Canadians with spying in Huawei-linked case
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is "very disappointed" that China charged two Canadians who have been detained in China for 18 months.

China charges two Canadians with spying in Huawei-linked case