Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
International

Vigil held for 9 year-old Indian-American boy allegedly slain by father

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Jan, 2023 11:15 AM
  • Vigil held for 9 year-old Indian-American boy allegedly slain by father
 
Photo courtesy of IStock.
 
New York, Jan 12 (IANS) More than 200 people held a candlelight vigil in McKinney, Texas, in the memory of a nine year-old Indian-origin boy who was allegedly stabbed to death by his father last week.

Subramanian Ponnazhakan, 39, was booked on capital murder charge and his bail was set at $1 million, the McKinney Police said.

"What can a nine-year-old do to deserve this? I feel really bad," Suroma Sinha, who attended the vigil at Hughes Elementary told WFAA, a Dallas-based news channel.

A lot of people who left flowers, stuffed toys and notes at the venue said they want people to know that help is available, and that "humanity still lives".

"From the father's perspective... emotionally something went wrong," Vijay Ranganathan, a resident, told the news channel.

Police said they got a call from a neighbour last week who said that a woman had found her son "unconscious and bleeding" inside a home near Highway 380 and Custer Road.

When officers entered the house "forcefully", they found the woman's husband in the act of inflicting self-harm with a knife for which he was admitted to a hospital.

The boy, who was the only son, was found with multiple stab wounds in the garage, and was pronounced dead on the spot.

Police said that further investigations are on in the case.

"We continue to keep the child's mother and their entire family in our thoughts and prayers during this unspeakably difficult time," a McKinney Police Department spokeswoman had said.

MORE International ARTICLES

RCMP finds no evidence of criminal wrongdoing by B.C. MLA Jinny Sims

VICTORIA - British Columbia's prosecution service says NDP legislature member Jinny Sims will not face charges following an RCMP investigation and the appointment of a special prosecutor last fall.

RCMP finds no evidence of criminal wrongdoing by B.C. MLA Jinny Sims

Military to help fight COVID in Quebec; deaths pass 150 as cases near 12,000

Military to help fight COVID in Quebec; deaths pass 150 as cases near 12,000
TORONTO — The military is moving into northern Quebec at the province's request to help remote communities cope in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday as political and health leaders urged Canadians to avoid leaving home unless necessary.

Military to help fight COVID in Quebec; deaths pass 150 as cases near 12,000

Science summary: A look at novel coronavirus research around the globe

Thousands of scientists around the world are working on problems raised by the COVID-19 pandemic. Here is a summary of some recent research from peer-reviewed academic journals and scientific agencies:

Science summary: A look at novel coronavirus research around the globe

Dubai-based Indian Ajay Sobhraj Donates Entire Property For Quarantine

Indian businessman Ajay Sobhraj, founder and Chairman of Dubai-based Finja Jewellery, has donated a building he owns to be used as a quarantine centre for the treatment of people infected with the novel coronavirus, it was reported.

Dubai-based Indian Ajay Sobhraj Donates Entire Property For Quarantine

Harry-Meghan Must Pay For Security: Trump

American President Donald Trump has said that the US would not foot the bill for the UK's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle's security amid reports that the couple have moved to California from Canada, the media reported.    

Harry-Meghan Must Pay For Security: Trump

B.C. Measures Appear To Have Slowed The Increase In Covid-19: Health Officer

VICTORIA - British Columbia's provincial health officer says she's starting to see "glimmers of hope" in the fight against COVID-19 with an apparent flattening in the number of cases.    

B.C. Measures Appear To Have Slowed The Increase In Covid-19: Health Officer