Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
International

Vigil held for 9 year-old Indian-American boy allegedly slain by father

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Jan, 2023 11:15 AM
  • Vigil held for 9 year-old Indian-American boy allegedly slain by father
 
Photo courtesy of IStock.
 
New York, Jan 12 (IANS) More than 200 people held a candlelight vigil in McKinney, Texas, in the memory of a nine year-old Indian-origin boy who was allegedly stabbed to death by his father last week.

Subramanian Ponnazhakan, 39, was booked on capital murder charge and his bail was set at $1 million, the McKinney Police said.

"What can a nine-year-old do to deserve this? I feel really bad," Suroma Sinha, who attended the vigil at Hughes Elementary told WFAA, a Dallas-based news channel.

A lot of people who left flowers, stuffed toys and notes at the venue said they want people to know that help is available, and that "humanity still lives".

"From the father's perspective... emotionally something went wrong," Vijay Ranganathan, a resident, told the news channel.

Police said they got a call from a neighbour last week who said that a woman had found her son "unconscious and bleeding" inside a home near Highway 380 and Custer Road.

When officers entered the house "forcefully", they found the woman's husband in the act of inflicting self-harm with a knife for which he was admitted to a hospital.

The boy, who was the only son, was found with multiple stab wounds in the garage, and was pronounced dead on the spot.

Police said that further investigations are on in the case.

"We continue to keep the child's mother and their entire family in our thoughts and prayers during this unspeakably difficult time," a McKinney Police Department spokeswoman had said.

MORE International ARTICLES

Calls for Romania's president to reject gender studies ban

Calls for Romania's president to reject gender studies ban
Dozens of protesters gathered Thursday in Romania's capital to express their opposition to a law banning the teaching of gender studies in the country’s schools and universities.

Calls for Romania's president to reject gender studies ban

Decline in new US virus deaths may be temporary reprieve

Decline in new US virus deaths may be temporary reprieve
The number of deaths per day from the coronavirus in the U.S. has fallen in recent weeks to the lowest level since late March, even as states increasingly reopen for business. But scientists are deeply afraid the trend may be about to reverse itself.

Decline in new US virus deaths may be temporary reprieve

Lawyers, prosecutors in Patrik Mathews white-supremacy case seek extension

Lawyers, prosecutors in Patrik Mathews white-supremacy case seek extension
Federal prosecutors in Maryland are asking a judge for more time to prepare the "complex case" against three men, including a former Canadian Forces reservist, at the centre of an alleged white-supremacist plot to trigger a race war in the United States.

Lawyers, prosecutors in Patrik Mathews white-supremacy case seek extension

Many small businesses say loans won't get them to rehire

Many small businesses say loans won't get them to rehire
    WASHINGTON - Some small businesses that obtained a highly-coveted government loan say they won’t be able to use it to bring all their laid-off workers back, even though that is exactly what the program was designed to do.  

Many small businesses say loans won't get them to rehire

Lockdown finally lifted for the Chinese city of Wuhan

After 11 weeks of lockdown, the first train departed Wednesday morning from a re-opened Wuhan, the origin point for the coronavirus pandemic, as residents once again were allowed to travel in and out of the sprawling central Chinese city. Wuhan's unprecedented lockdown served as a model for countries battling the coronavirus around the world. With restrictions now lifted, Hubei's provincial capital embarks on another experiment: resuming business and ordinary life while seeking to keep the number of new cases down.

Lockdown finally lifted for the Chinese city of Wuhan

The latest numbers on COVID-19 in Canada

he latest numbers of confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases in Canada as of 4:00 a.m. on April 4, 2020: There are 12,547 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada.  

The latest numbers on COVID-19 in Canada