Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Agreement Allows Police In Vancouver Pride Parade, But Changes Will Be Made

The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2017 11:45 AM
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Police Department says its members will walk in the city's Pride parade this year.
     
    The department says representatives have been in discussion with groups including the Vancouver Pride Society and police officers will be allowed to take part, although some changes will be made.
     
    A department news release says no marked police vehicles will be included in the 2017 parade and officers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver's entry, along with city staff and members of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
     
    About 80 per cent of the department's Pride contingent will walk in T-shirts, while another 20 per cent will be in uniform. 
     
    The department has also agreed to participate in listening circles arranged by the Pride Society, allowing community members to share their stories with police.
     
    The changes follow requests from parade organizations across Canada that police not attend their annual events and Toronto Pride voted earlier this year to remove police floats and uniformed officers from their event.
     
    "Our members and volunteers look forward to participating in the Pride parade each year, and we're pleased that we can keep that tradition going," says department spokesman Staff Sgt. Randy Fincham.
     
    Supporting Vancouver's LGBTQ2S+ community goes beyond the parade and police will continue with outreach, education, and awareness efforts year-round, he says.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Halifax Man Sentenced To Seven Years For Trafficking 14-Year-Old Girl

    Halifax Man Sentenced To Seven Years For Trafficking 14-Year-Old Girl
    Owen Ross Gibson-Skeir, 21, was arrested a year ago in Halifax and pleaded guilty in December to three charges.

    Halifax Man Sentenced To Seven Years For Trafficking 14-Year-Old Girl

    Edmonton Warehouse Stabber Sentenced To Life, No Parole Eligibility For 25 Years

    EDMONTON — A mentally ill Edmonton man who stabbed two co-workers to death and badly injured four others has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

    Edmonton Warehouse Stabber Sentenced To Life, No Parole Eligibility For 25 Years

    McDonald's Canada Says Info Of 95,000 Job Applicants Compromised

    McDonald's Canada Says Info Of 95,000 Job Applicants Compromised
    The company says the accessed information included names, addresses, phone numbers, employment histories and other standard job application information.

    McDonald's Canada Says Info Of 95,000 Job Applicants Compromised

    New Westminster Pub Worker Sanjeev Kainth Dies After Falling On Meat Slicer

    New Westminster Pub Worker Sanjeev Kainth Dies After Falling On Meat Slicer
    Sanjeev Kainth had a newborn daughter, and worked at River's Reach Pub as a line cook

    New Westminster Pub Worker Sanjeev Kainth Dies After Falling On Meat Slicer

    Drunk Driver's Mom Apologizes To Victims' Families At Son's Sentencing Hearing

    Drunk Driver's Mom Apologizes To Victims' Families At Son's Sentencing Hearing
    VANCOUVER — The mother of a man who drove drunk and killed three people on a British Columbia highway says her son's time in jail has made him a changed man.

    Drunk Driver's Mom Apologizes To Victims' Families At Son's Sentencing Hearing

    These UBC Students Have Invented an Overdose Detection Device

    These UBC Students Have Invented an Overdose Detection Device
    VANCOUVER — A group of students at the University of British Columbia have turned to technology in an effort to address the opioid crisis by creating a wearable device they say can detect an overdose.

    These UBC Students Have Invented an Overdose Detection Device