Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Agreement Allows Police In Vancouver Pride Parade, But Changes Will Be Made

The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2017 11:45 AM
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Police Department says its members will walk in the city's Pride parade this year.
     
    The department says representatives have been in discussion with groups including the Vancouver Pride Society and police officers will be allowed to take part, although some changes will be made.
     
    A department news release says no marked police vehicles will be included in the 2017 parade and officers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver's entry, along with city staff and members of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
     
    About 80 per cent of the department's Pride contingent will walk in T-shirts, while another 20 per cent will be in uniform. 
     
    The department has also agreed to participate in listening circles arranged by the Pride Society, allowing community members to share their stories with police.
     
    The changes follow requests from parade organizations across Canada that police not attend their annual events and Toronto Pride voted earlier this year to remove police floats and uniformed officers from their event.
     
    "Our members and volunteers look forward to participating in the Pride parade each year, and we're pleased that we can keep that tradition going," says department spokesman Staff Sgt. Randy Fincham.
     
    Supporting Vancouver's LGBTQ2S+ community goes beyond the parade and police will continue with outreach, education, and awareness efforts year-round, he says.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Air Canada Lawsuit Accuses Airbus Of Negligence In Halifax Crash Landing

    Air Canada Lawsuit Accuses Airbus Of Negligence In Halifax Crash Landing
    HALIFAX — Air Canada is claiming a French aircraft manufacturer's negligence contributed to a crash landing at Halifax Stanfield International Airport two years ago.

    Air Canada Lawsuit Accuses Airbus Of Negligence In Halifax Crash Landing

    Canadian Pulse Exporters To India Get 3-Month Extension To Pest Treatment Exemption

    OTTAWA — India has given another last-minute extension to a waiver allowing Canadian pulse exports to the country without the required pest treatment, Canadian Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay says.

    Canadian Pulse Exporters To India Get 3-Month Extension To Pest Treatment Exemption

    Five People Taken To Hospital After Explosion At Rio Tinto Facility In Quebec

    Five People Taken To Hospital After Explosion At Rio Tinto Facility In Quebec
    SOREL-TRACEY, Que. — Five people were taken to hospital Thursday morning after an explosion at the Rio Tinto iron and titanium plant in Sorel-Tracy, Que.

    Five People Taken To Hospital After Explosion At Rio Tinto Facility In Quebec

    Saskatoon Police Investigate Blast At Courthouse, No Injuries Reported

    Saskatoon Police Investigate Blast At Courthouse, No Injuries Reported
    Police in Saskatoon are investigating the detonation of a suspected improvised explosive device at the provincial courthouse.

    Saskatoon Police Investigate Blast At Courthouse, No Injuries Reported

    Accused In Quebec City Mosque Shooting Changes Lawyer During Brief Appearance

    Accused In Quebec City Mosque Shooting Changes Lawyer During Brief Appearance
      Bissonnette faces six counts of first-degree murder and five of attempted murder using a restricted firearm arising from the Jan. 29 deaths.

    Accused In Quebec City Mosque Shooting Changes Lawyer During Brief Appearance

    Ontario Man Charged With Attempted Murder In Connection With Alleged Chilliwack Shooting

    Ontario Man Charged With Attempted Murder In Connection With Alleged Chilliwack Shooting
    Police say in a news release that 38-year-old Peter Kampos remains in custody and is believed to be from Ontario.

    Ontario Man Charged With Attempted Murder In Connection With Alleged Chilliwack Shooting