Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Agreement Allows Police In Vancouver Pride Parade, But Changes Will Be Made

The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2017 11:45 AM
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Police Department says its members will walk in the city's Pride parade this year.
     
    The department says representatives have been in discussion with groups including the Vancouver Pride Society and police officers will be allowed to take part, although some changes will be made.
     
    A department news release says no marked police vehicles will be included in the 2017 parade and officers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver's entry, along with city staff and members of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
     
    About 80 per cent of the department's Pride contingent will walk in T-shirts, while another 20 per cent will be in uniform. 
     
    The department has also agreed to participate in listening circles arranged by the Pride Society, allowing community members to share their stories with police.
     
    The changes follow requests from parade organizations across Canada that police not attend their annual events and Toronto Pride voted earlier this year to remove police floats and uniformed officers from their event.
     
    "Our members and volunteers look forward to participating in the Pride parade each year, and we're pleased that we can keep that tradition going," says department spokesman Staff Sgt. Randy Fincham.
     
    Supporting Vancouver's LGBTQ2S+ community goes beyond the parade and police will continue with outreach, education, and awareness efforts year-round, he says.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Langley Man Beaten, Concussed In Road Rage Assault, RCMP Looking For Witness

    The victim was kicked and punched and suffered broken bones in his face as well as a concussion.

    Langley Man Beaten, Concussed In Road Rage Assault, RCMP Looking For Witness

    Cloverdale Stabbing: Victim Identified As Jaspreet Dhaliwal, Charges Laid Against Gurtarn Sandhu

    Cloverdale Stabbing: Victim Identified As Jaspreet Dhaliwal, Charges Laid Against Gurtarn Sandhu
    The investigation remains on-going, however, investigators have secured a homicide related charge against the male suspect, identified as 27-year-old Gurtarn Tarn SANDHU. 

    Cloverdale Stabbing: Victim Identified As Jaspreet Dhaliwal, Charges Laid Against Gurtarn Sandhu

    Multiple Investigations After Mutilated Calf Remains Found In B.C. Ditch

    Multiple Investigations After Mutilated Calf Remains Found In B.C. Ditch
    MISSION, B.C. — The discovery of a rotting and mutilated calf carcass in a water-filled ditch east of Vancouver is the latest such case to raise concerns for the BC Dairy Association.

    Multiple Investigations After Mutilated Calf Remains Found In B.C. Ditch

    Crown Says Drunk Driver Knew He Was A Risk But Drove Anyway And Killed 3 People

    Crown Says Drunk Driver Knew He Was A Risk But Drove Anyway And Killed 3 People
    Crown lawyers are asking that a B.C. Supreme Court judge sentence Samuel Alec to 12 years in prison and bar him from driving for 18 years.

    Crown Says Drunk Driver Knew He Was A Risk But Drove Anyway And Killed 3 People

    Justin Trudeau Gets Called A Scumbag At A Winnipeg News Conference On Child Care

    Justin Trudeau Gets Called A Scumbag At A Winnipeg News Conference On Child Care
    Staff from the Prime Minister's Office say the man gained entry to the event claiming to be a member of the "world alternative media."

    Justin Trudeau Gets Called A Scumbag At A Winnipeg News Conference On Child Care

    Snowboarder Mark McMorris Showing 'Major Progress' After Crash, Tells Brother

    Snowboarder Mark McMorris Showing 'Major Progress' After Crash, Tells Brother
      Craig McMorris tells The Canadian Press that Mark has made "major progress" since suffering serious injuries after going off a jump and crashing into some trees on Saturday near Whistler.

    Snowboarder Mark McMorris Showing 'Major Progress' After Crash, Tells Brother