Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract
Boeing Canada plans to invest $61 million in British Columbia for an aerospace manufacturing training facility as well as research and development. The announcement is the latest from the American aviation giant as part of a multibillion-dollar deal with Ottawa on the purchase of new military surveillance planes.

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead
Fortis Alberta says one of its employees was shot and injured while performing routine work east of Calgary. Mounties in Strathmore say they responded to a shooting in a rural area in Rocky View County around midday Tuesday and found one person dead and another superficially wounded.

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail
WestJet says 16 of its planes have been grounded after a massive hailstorm hit Calgary earlier this week.  The Calgary-based airline says those aircraft — 10 per cent of its fleet — need substantial repairs and inspections before they can fly again. 

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video
Another person has been arrested after making threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau online. Police say a man made violent threats against Trudeau, the police and security personnel who might attempt to interfere with his plans in an online video.

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests
The Bank of Canada wants the economy to pick up speed again and some members of its governing council are concerned that weak job market conditions could hinder that process. That's according to the central bank's newly released summary of deliberations detailing discussions ahead of the July 24 rate decision. 

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests
The Canadian government has updated its travel advisory for the United Kingdom amid a rash of ongoing demonstrations. It says visitors should "exercise a high degree of caution" in the country and takes note of demonstrations and violent clashes between protesters and police over the past week. 

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests