Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson
Mounties in Burnaby say a suspect has now been charged for an arson that happened in 2023. Police say a 33-year-old man is accused of setting fire to a loading bay at a business in Metrotown mall in February last year.

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting
Homicide investigators are identifying the victim of a deadly shooting in Langley earlier this month in the hopes to further their investigation. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 41-year-old Dillan Unger of Langley was the person killed on August 2nd. 

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service
Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services says it has extinguished a blaze that destroyed an apartment building under construction, damaged nine nearby homes and appears to have caused a crane to collapse. The fire in Vancouver's west side broke out late Tuesday in a six-story building and spread to several nearby houses. 

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance
The Forest Practices Board says an audit of the BC Timber Sales program and timber sales license holders in the Boundary region found "significant issues" with road and bridge maintenance. It says the board conducted a "full scope compliance audit" of all activities between June 2022 and June 2023 in the Kootenay Business Area in south-central B.C. along Highway 3.

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains
The director of provincial operations for the BC Wildfire Service says the province has seen about 10,000 lightning strikes over the last seven days, primarily in the Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centres. Cliff Chapman says because B.C. had a hot and dry July, those lightning strikes have the ability and the fuel to start new fires.

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision
On Tuesday at approximately 2:45 pm, BC Highway Patrol (BCHP) and Chilliwack RCMP responded to a multi-vehicle incident on Highway 1 near Yale Road West in Chilliwack. The highway has been shut down eastbound and currently has a single lane open westbound.

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision