Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada
Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says Canadians have a right to know how a man with links to a foreign terror group evaded Canada's screening process to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen. He is demanding that the House of Commons recall its public safety committee to dig into the situation, calling on the Bloc Québécois and NDP to support that request.

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada
Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault says the federal government is considering new regulations that could make fewer employers eligible to hire temporary foreign workers. It's part of a suite of changes the minister is announcing in an effort to reduce the number of temporary foreign workers in Canada. 

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Surrey business targeted in shooting
Police in Surrey say they're investigating yet another shooting involving gunfire targeting a business in the city over the weekend.  Surrey Mounties say the shooting in Newton occurred Sunday night in the 14400-hundred block of 72nd Avenue. 

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP
Surrey RCMP say a man is in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries following a shooting incident Saturday. The incident occurred at about 8:40 a.m. An investigation is underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP
Surrey RCMP say a man is in hospital with serious burns after he was lit on fire during an attack in the community of Whalley. Police say they responded Friday afternoon to a report of an assault at 10200 block of City Parkway, where officers found the man suffering from serious injuries.

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide
British Columbia officials say there is a risk of more landslides and bank erosion as a large lake of water and debris flows past a landslide that blocked the Chilcotin River for days. The latest provincial update says a "significant amount of instability and bank failures" have been observed along the Chilcotin River from the confluence of the Fraser River to the site of the massive landslide. 

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide