Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

At sprawling San Fran APEC summit, Canada opts for more intimate, one-on-one approach

At sprawling San Fran APEC summit, Canada opts for more intimate, one-on-one approach
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau embraced a more intimate form of Pacific Rim diplomacy Thursday as he sat down with several world leaders on the margins of a sprawling international summit in California. Even before all 21 members of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation group could gather for their traditional family photo, Trudeau had already hosted meetings with Japan, Thailand and Australia, with plans to meet Mexico and Vietnam in the afternoon.  

At sprawling San Fran APEC summit, Canada opts for more intimate, one-on-one approach

The wait continues for Canadians wanting out of Gaza, approval list not yet updated

The wait continues for Canadians wanting out of Gaza, approval list not yet updated
The Canadian government says that as of Wednesday afternoon, it was in touch with 386 people still in the besieged territory. Global Affairs Canada says, so far, 367 Canadians, permanent residents and their relatives have been able to escape via the Rafah border crossing, most recently including two people on Wednesday and 10 on Monday.

The wait continues for Canadians wanting out of Gaza, approval list not yet updated

Pedestrian killed in Burnaby

Pedestrian killed in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby say they're investigating after a pedestrian was hit and killed by a vehicle in the city Thursday morning. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers attended the scene at 11 in the morning after reports that a female pedestrian was hit in the 43-hundred block of Hastings Street. 

Pedestrian killed in Burnaby

COVID-19 down, influenza and RSV up in B.C, says CDC

COVID-19 down, influenza and RSV up in B.C, says CDC
New data suggest that COVID-19 activity in British Columbia is trending downward, while influenza and RSV are on the rise. A weekly update provided Thursday by the BC Centre for Disease Control says COVID-19 cases, new hospitalizations and deaths are all declining from a peak in the first week of October.  

COVID-19 down, influenza and RSV up in B.C, says CDC

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning
British Columbia's gang squad and the Abbotsford Police Department say a sensitive law enforcement intelligence document was posted on an online media site. A statement from police and the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the document was part of a response to the ongoing gang war that has killed numerous people in the last several years.

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war
Canada's long-standing support of Israel in votes at the United Nations has come under renewed scrutiny during the latest Israel-Hamas war.  On Oct. 27, Canada abstained on a motion calling for a sustained humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip, and last week, it joined Israel and the U.S. in voting down a motion about Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war