Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Break in at a Kelowna home

Break in at a Kelowna home
Kelowna R-C-M-P are praising two members of their canine unit in the arrest of a break-and-enter suspect with outstanding warrants from Mission, Abbotsford and Ridge Meadows. Police were called to a home early this morning for a report of a break-and-enter in progress.

Break in at a Kelowna home

YVR gets a 3.5M dollar investment

YVR gets a 3.5M dollar investment
The Vancouver International Airport says a 3.5-million-dollar investment by the federal and provincial governments will go towards improving the main terminal's building performance and to reduce its overall emissions.

YVR gets a 3.5M dollar investment

Rise in grandparents scam in Abbotsford

Rise in grandparents scam in Abbotsford
Police in Abbotsford are warning the public of a rise in the so-called "grandparents scam." Authorities say fraudsters posing as lawyers are calling seniors, suggesting a family member is either in jail and needs bail money, or has been in an accident and needs to pay for damages.  

Rise in grandparents scam in Abbotsford

Highways prepared for extreme weather 'new normal,' says B.C. transportation minister

Highways prepared for extreme weather 'new normal,' says B.C. transportation minister
British Columbia's transportation minister says 130 kilometres of highway that was severely damaged by flooding two years ago is now more resilient to extreme weather. Rob Fleming says the stretch of the Coquihalla Highway, or Highway 5, between Hope and Merritt, B.C., is an example of a "new normal" for how infrastructure needs to be built.

Highways prepared for extreme weather 'new normal,' says B.C. transportation minister

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, as Freeland calls situation 'heartbreaking'

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, as Freeland calls situation 'heartbreaking'
Two more people with ties to Canada left the Gaza Strip for Egypt today, as hundreds seek to flee a worsening humanitarian situation in the besieged Palestinian territory. Global Affairs Canada says it has helped 358 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and their relatives exit the war-torn territory, while another nine have managed to get out through other means.

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, as Freeland calls situation 'heartbreaking'

Notorious clubhouse owned by Nanaimo, B.C., Hells Angels being demolished: Farnworth

Notorious clubhouse owned by Nanaimo, B.C., Hells Angels being demolished: Farnworth
A clubhouse that once belonged to a Vancouver Island chapter of the Hells Angels is being demolished, just weeks after a court ruling confirmed the B.C. government has the right to seize the property. Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, says in a statement that the clubhouse in Nanaimo is coming down immediately.

Notorious clubhouse owned by Nanaimo, B.C., Hells Angels being demolished: Farnworth