Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Slow home sales in BC

Slow home sales in BC
The B-C Real Estate Association's chief economist says high borrowing costs and stricter stress tests for buyers have led to an expected slowing of home sales in the province. However, Brendon Ogmundson says inventory remains low, balancing the market at what he says is a very low level of activity.

Slow home sales in BC

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn
In an appeal decision released last week, the commission says Clarke Matthiesen tried to blame an arsonist for the blaze that investigators say started on his property west of Quesnel, B.C., in the province's interior. 

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge
A lithium-ion battery cell production plant costing more than $1 billion will be built in Maple Ridge. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier David Eby jointly announced Tuesday that the new E-One Moli facility will bolster Canada's role as a global leader in clean technology.  

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge

Brothers, 14 and 18, facing charges after deadly Calgary shooting Calgary

Brothers, 14 and 18, facing charges after deadly Calgary shooting Calgary
Police in Calgary say charges are pending against two brothers following a shooting Monday that killed one man and injured two others. Investigators responded to a call Monday afternoon in a northeast Calgary shopping mall and found the man dead.  

Brothers, 14 and 18, facing charges after deadly Calgary shooting Calgary

Royal Canadian Mint to start replacing image of late queen with King Charles

Royal Canadian Mint to start replacing image of late queen with King Charles
The Royal Canadian Mint will soon begin producing Canadian coins bearing the face of King Charles. On the King's 75th birthday, the Winnipeg-based facility is set to showcase its design of the new British monarch that will appear on one side of all its coins, replacing the image of the late Queen Elizabeth II. 

Royal Canadian Mint to start replacing image of late queen with King Charles

Friends and family mourn the loss of Canadians killed by Hamas in Israel

Friends and family mourn the loss of Canadians killed by Hamas in Israel
Friends, family and government officials have confirmed that at least seven Canadians were killed when Hamas militants conducted a series of attacks in Israel on Oct. 7. Global Affairs Canada has said an eighth person with deep ties to Canada, who was not a citizen, also died.  

Friends and family mourn the loss of Canadians killed by Hamas in Israel