Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Remembrance Day events to be held rain or shine, with wild weather forecast

B.C. Remembrance Day events to be held rain or shine, with wild weather forecast
Remembrance Day services will be staged across British Columbia tomorrow, but wild weather hitting the south coast may test the resolve of attendees. A weather front bringing heavy rain and winds of up to 90 kilometres an hour is forecast to cross the coast this evening, and although the winds could ease in time for services tomorrow morning, soaking rain is expected across the Lower Mainland, including Vancouver.

B.C. Remembrance Day events to be held rain or shine, with wild weather forecast

Gang member Harpreet Uppal and 11-year-old son intentionally shot and killed in parked vehicle: Edmonton police

Gang member Harpreet Uppal and 11-year-old son intentionally shot and killed in parked vehicle: Edmonton police
Police say a man and his 11-year-old son were intentionally shot and killed in a vehicle in Edmonton on Thursday. They identified the father as 41-year-old Harpreet Uppal, a high-level gang member involved in the drug trade. Police did not identify the boy.

Gang member Harpreet Uppal and 11-year-old son intentionally shot and killed in parked vehicle: Edmonton police

Man charged in Kelowna stabbing

Man charged in Kelowna stabbing
A man has been charged with aggravated assault after allegedly stabbing a woman in an altercation in Kelowna. Police say the incident happened on Wednesday around 7:20 p-m, when officers were called to the intersection of Bernard Avenue and Ethel Street.  

Man charged in Kelowna stabbing

COVID19 activity slumping in BC

COVID19 activity slumping in BC
The sharp uptick in B-C's COVID-19 activity may be waning, according to the latest data from the province's Centre for Disease Control. Numbers show new hospitalizations dropped to 144 in the week ending November 4th, down from 296 three weeks earlier.

COVID19 activity slumping in BC

Heavy rain, wind and snow expected for portions of B.C. over next several days

Heavy rain, wind and snow expected for portions of B.C. over next several days
The agency has issued multiple warnings for Metro Vancouver, saying 50 to 70 millimetres of rain is expected to hit the Fraser Valley and the Northshore and northeast regions beginning tonight. Forecasters say the rain should taper off over parts of Metro Vancouver on Saturday morning but persist in the Fraser Valley until the evening.  

Heavy rain, wind and snow expected for portions of B.C. over next several days

Canada investigating 'threats' to Air India, say transport minister and RCMP

Canada investigating 'threats' to Air India, say transport minister and RCMP
Canada's transport minister and the RCMP say an investigation is underway into what they call "threats" against Air India, after an online video warned people not to fly on the airline on Nov. 19. Pablo Rodriguez says in a social media post that the government takes any threat to aviation "extremely seriously."

Canada investigating 'threats' to Air India, say transport minister and RCMP