Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

32 more Canadians have left Gaza Strip for Egypt, Global Affairs Canada says

32 more Canadians have left Gaza Strip for Egypt, Global Affairs Canada says
Global Affairs Canada says 32 more Canadians were able to leave the Gaza Strip for Egypt on Thursday after a key border crossing reopened. The department says there had originally been 40 Canadian names on the list of people approved to leave through the border crossing at Rafah, but precisely what changed wasn't immediately clear.  

32 more Canadians have left Gaza Strip for Egypt, Global Affairs Canada says

Ontario to ban Canadian work experience requirement in job postings

Ontario to ban Canadian work experience requirement in job postings
Ontario plans to ban employers from requiring Canadian work experience in job postings or application forms, the labour minister announced Thursday, saying it will be an important step to help newcomers get their foot in the door. Ontario would be the first province to dismantle that barrier in the hiring process, Labour Minister David Piccini said.

Ontario to ban Canadian work experience requirement in job postings

11 people sent to hospital in school bus crash in Burnaby

11 people sent to hospital in school bus crash in Burnaby
Eleven people have been sent to hospital after a school bus crashed into a home in Burnaby, B.C. BC Emergency Health Services says in a statement that all 11 patients are in stable condition. Police have asked drivers to avoid a busy stretch of Canada Way.  

11 people sent to hospital in school bus crash in Burnaby

Trudeau says pauses in Gaza fighting a template for peace, as Canadians wait to flee

Trudeau says pauses in Gaza fighting a template for peace, as Canadians wait to flee
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says newly agreed-upon "humanitarian pauses" to temporarily end fighting between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip must last long enough for people to leave the area and for aid to arrive. The White House says that Israel has agreed to put in place four-hour daily humanitarian pauses in its assault on Hamas in northern Gaza, beginning today.

Trudeau says pauses in Gaza fighting a template for peace, as Canadians wait to flee

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to table Liberals' fall economic statement Nov. 21

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to table Liberals' fall economic statement Nov. 21
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland is expected to table the federal government's fall economic statement on Nov. 21. The mini-budget is set to offer an update on federal finances, as well as new measures that reflect the government's priorities. 

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to table Liberals' fall economic statement Nov. 21

Two Montreal Jewish schools hit by gunshots, police say, nobody injured

Two Montreal Jewish schools hit by gunshots, police say, nobody injured
Montreal police say two Jewish schools were hit overnight by gunshots, in what seems to be the latest violent event in the city tied to the war between Israel and Hamas. Staff members discovered bullet holes on the exterior of the buildings when they arrived Thursday morning. Police said nobody was inside at the time of the shootings.

Two Montreal Jewish schools hit by gunshots, police say, nobody injured