Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation
Three priority transit corridors have been selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation. Metro Vancouver’s new bus rapid transit routes will be along King George Boulevard from Surrey Centre to White Rock, from Langley Centre to Haney Place and from Metrotown to the Northshore.  

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers
The B.C. government is introducing new protections for ride-hailing and food delivery app workers including a minimum wage, compensation for expenses and other standards. A minimum hourly wage of $20.10 — which is $3.35 more than the current general minimum wage — would apply for a gig worker's "engaged time," beginning when they accept an assignment to the time of completion.

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition
Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, says all members of the Surrey Police Board have been suspended and he's appointed former Abbotsford chief constable Mike Serr to take over all their duties. Farnworth says he acted because of a “lack of progress” from the City of Surrey in the transition to the Surrey Police Service. 

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery
Burnaby R-C-M-P are hoping the public can help them identify a suspect wanted for a brazen robbery that happened almost two months ago. Police say a man was sitting in his vehicle at about 1:30 a.m., on September 27th when the suspect opened the car door, assaulted him and stole 33-hundred dollars.

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery

Road closures in effect in Surrey

Road closures in effect in Surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public of road closures following a serious collision involving a pedestrian on Fraser Highway. On Thursday, at approximately 8:15 a.m. police responded to the report of a youth struck by a vehicle in the 19400-block of Fraser Highway. The pedestrian has been transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Road closures in effect in Surrey

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario
The trial has heard that Veltman hit the Afzaal family with his truck while they were out for a walk on a summer evening. 46 year old Salman Afzaal; his 44-year-old wife, Madiha Salman; their 15-year-old daughter, Yumna; and her 74-year-old grandmother, Talat Afzaal, were killed in the attack, while the couple's nine-year-old son was seriously hurt but survived.

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario