Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland in India

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland in India
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman says a priority for the G-20 and host India is strengthening global development banks and reaching a consensus on issues associated with rising debt levels in low and middle-income countries.  

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland in India

Digital publication fights CRA finding that it does not produce 'original news'

Digital publication fights CRA finding that it does not produce 'original news'
In a court filing submitted last week, the publication rejects the agency's conclusion that it's not a qualified Canadian journalism organization — a designation that allows it to claim a journalism tax credit. The Canada Revenue Agency didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. The federal government has yet to file its defence.

Digital publication fights CRA finding that it does not produce 'original news'

B.C. promises $3M to expand program that partners cops with health-care providers

B.C. promises $3M to expand program that partners cops with health-care providers
New teams are being funded for Abbotsford, Port Coquitlam/Coquitlam, Burnaby, Chilliwack, Penticton, Vernon, Squamish, Prince Rupert and the Westshore on southern Vancouver Island.  Similar programs already exist in 10 B.C. communities including Kamloops, Victoria, Surrey and Vancouver.

B.C. promises $3M to expand program that partners cops with health-care providers

Marijuana grow-op busted in Abbotsford

Marijuana grow-op busted in Abbotsford
Investigators say they seized four thousand pot plant, kilos of suspected fentanyl and cocaine, as well as handguns, three sawed-off shotguns, a rifle, and a dozen other firearms that were "lawfully possessed."

Marijuana grow-op busted in Abbotsford

Report shows economic case for high immigration, but warns of housing trade-offs

Report shows economic case for high immigration, but warns of housing trade-offs
A Desjardins report released Monday analyzes how much population growth among working-age Canadians is necessary to maintain the old-age dependency ratio, which refers to the ratio between 15 to 64-year-olds and those aged 65 and older. 

Report shows economic case for high immigration, but warns of housing trade-offs

Tourist stabbed in Vancouver plans to continue tour of Canada

Tourist stabbed in Vancouver plans to continue tour of Canada
Twenty-eight-year-old Jamie Hallowes says he was on his way to withdraw cash downtown when someone approached him from behind and stabbed him twice. One wound required stitches, but Hallowes says the experience hasn't tainted his impression of Canada, and he plans to continue on to Alberta in the coming weeks. 

Tourist stabbed in Vancouver plans to continue tour of Canada