Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. cargo flow should be back to normal in days after port strike, says researcher

B.C. cargo flow should be back to normal in days after port strike, says researcher
The union, which represents 7,400 workers in the job action that began July 1, has not yet commented on the pact. Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan said Thursday that the strike that had snarled trade worth billions was over and thanked both sides.  

B.C. cargo flow should be back to normal in days after port strike, says researcher

19-year-old firefighter who died in B.C. is identified by her brother

19-year-old firefighter who died in B.C. is identified by her brother
The firefighter was working on brush-clearing in a remote area where a fire had started. Her team found her pinned under a fallen tree and began first aid, but she succumbed to her injuries after being airlifted to a hospital in Revelstoke.  

19-year-old firefighter who died in B.C. is identified by her brother

Mission stabbing victim dies of his injuries

Mission stabbing victim dies of his injuries
On Thursday, at 6:13 p.m., the Mission RCMP were called to the area of the 32500-block of Lougheed Highway. Upon arrival, officers discovered a 42-year old man, suffering from a stab wound. The victim was transported to a local hospital, where sadly, he succumbed to his injuries.  

Mission stabbing victim dies of his injuries

Sextortion on the rise in Kelowna

Sextortion on the rise in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna are warning about an increase of so-called sextortion targeting boys between the ages of 14 and 17. They say the victims often receive friend requests through popular social media sites, and engage in flirtatious conversations.  

Sextortion on the rise in Kelowna

Unprovoked stabbing lands tourist in hospital

Unprovoked stabbing lands tourist in hospital
The victim, a 28-year-old visitor from New Zealand, was allegedly stabbed from behind by a man not known to him, on the corner of Nelson and Granville just before 8 p.m. He took himself to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Unprovoked stabbing lands tourist in hospital

B.C. residents urged to conserve water as worsening drought conditions parch province

B.C. residents urged to conserve water as worsening drought conditions parch province
Emergency Management and Climate Readiness Minister Bowinn Ma called on residents, farmers, businesspeople and industrial plant operators to take urgent steps to cut water use. 

B.C. residents urged to conserve water as worsening drought conditions parch province